TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Air Conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Air Conditioning
    Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 12:50pm
Was wondering has anyone tried to employ an after-market air conditioning system that would discharge through the rear of the interior? 
Madd X
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by IB Sorgn IB Sorgn wrote:

Was wondering has anyone tried to employ an after-market air conditioning system that would discharge through the rear of the interior? 

Note sure if an aftermarket air system has the capability.

If you have a console, it is doable. Just by obtaining a system from a donor car at a wrecking yard.

None of my current cars have rear A/C and heat vents. But oddly enough the 4 door equivalent of our 2 door, has it. Every thing is the same in both cars but the duct work through the console and the rear vent at the end of the console.

I grabbed the necessary parts to convert, and am thinking of removing the ash tray end on my console to use a newer car vent. Possibly grabbing another set of ducts (they are thin to pass air through a console), and setting up something similar.

The ducts are always on, with a direct connection to the blower box. The vent has directional and on/off door. It's all pretty simple, as long as the blower box has adequate room to cut out a hole for adding a conduit for ducting.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 4:05pm
I installed "Classic Auto Air" in my 68 Camaro which did not have factory a/c. Worked great...similar if not better than Vintage Air. Classic Auto Air sells a Universal Trunk mounted a/c system. It mounts forward in the trunk under the hat shelf, on the trunk floor. Comes with a remote control. $900.00. If interested check out their website.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 5:54pm
That's not a bad deal if it includes compressor, condenser dryer, etc.  I spent almost that to get my factory system working again.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2020 at 6:25am
Only thing about the trunk mount is the long hoses that have to be run under the car, and having to cut into the package shelf structure. Still, not a bad option. You can use any of the systems that use ducts to vents, but would have to have some kind of return air duct to the blower. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic