TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C Relay Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C Relay Problem?
    Posted: Aug/05/2020 at 1:51pm
The blower motor on my factory a/c '72 Javelin has begun stopping intermittently when the a/c is running.  Seems to do it at all speeds, but perhaps more so on the highest setting. Only seems to do it after it's been running awhile.  Does this sound like an a/c relay problem?  Wiggling the fan switch inside the car doesn't seem to make any difference.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2020 at 3:23pm
It could be the relay. You can jumper the connection, once you disconnect the connector from the relay, and test.

By jumpering, the fan should run continually. If it stops or shudders time to time, it can be the fuse panel connection or fuse. I have seen a loose fuse, both by the clips and internally on another.

If your connection is loose, you can remove the female connector from its hood, to lift the tongue and bear down on the curled over ends with a plier.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2020 at 4:55pm
Good idea re the jumper.  I took the cover off the relay and it's a little corroded inside.  I cleaned the points and connectors and we'll see what happens.  If it continues to act up I'll try the jumper.  Looks like these relays are $15 or less at Rock Auto, so that's the good news.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 1:59pm
Seems to be working ok since I cleaned the contacts and terminals on the relay.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 2:17pm
Great, I was going to state opening it up and cleaning. But you had the idea in mind anyway.

On the opposite side, mine was clean as a whistle internally. I am thinking it may be aftermarket replacement. Though it did look it's age until I cleaned up the outside.

I recommend the next time you make an order for parts, be sure to add a relay. At least you don't have to worry about summer being a bummer.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic