TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pressure at Startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pressure at Startup
    Posted: Jun/22/2020 at 6:25pm
I have 75 lbs at cold running, 75 lbs at freeway speeds, 30 lbs at warm idle 

When I start the car it takes several seconds to bring up pressure. I’ve spent many dollars swapping between oil filters, currently running a NAPA Gold.  

What else can I investigate, where would the oil and oil pressure be going to?  500 miles on the engine, .904 lifters with no noise any time.  

Is this loss of oil at startup drain back, oil pump issue, ......?

To get around starting with no oil I’ve been turning the engine over for a few seconds to avoid dry starts

Greg E.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 9:43am
Cranking the engine to build pressure before turning on the ignition is a good way to get some oil squirting into the oil passageways.

The delay between engine start and reading pressure at the gauge can be caused by the small oil line and it's length going to the gauge. The White70JavelinSST has that lag at the gauge. Rest assured that oil pump is squirting oil everywhere in the engine even though the gauge reads pressure slower.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 10:14am
Yup. That tiny oil line isn't sending a digital signal to the gauge.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 11:34am
You need to convert to a ford filter. Instant pressure at start-up.
Replace the filter nipple with Mopar Part 53007563AB. You can block the oem byplass with a 3/8 pipe plug. I don't thread the adapter for the plug, I just grind a little bit of thread off the plug and it fits the hole replacing the oem bypass valve assy. It doesn't have to be sealed up super tight.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I disagree, They are great for a pre-luber if you open it and shut it back off before you start the engine. Start the engine and let it run a bit and then I would open back up the accumulator.
If you leave the valve open on start-up it is going to favor filling the accumulator until it is full,only then full volume will be given to the engine.
I ran one for 5 years and see no need for it in any of my racing,drag or circle track.
He just needs a ford oil filter. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

You need to convert to a ford filter. Instant pressure at start-up.
Replace the filter nipple with Mopar Part 53007563AB. You can block the oem byplass with a 3/8 pipe plug. I don't thread the adapter for the plug, I just grind a little bit of thread off the plug and it fits the hole replacing the oem
valve assy. It doesn't have to be sealed up super tight.
Did just that about 20 years.ago.
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 2:21pm
And the Motorcraft filter number that fits the Mar nipple is?

The bypass is blocked.

I’ll give it a try. Will let you know.  Thx. Greg
Greg E.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 2:24pm
Ford FL1A filter.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 2:25pm
The long filter Motorcraft FL1A
Wix long 51515 or 51515XP
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 4:07pm
Thanks Alberto 
Greg E.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic