TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Gremlin 304 V8 Vacuum Switch Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnthaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Gremlin 304 V8 Vacuum Switch Question
    Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 12:36am
I think my question can only be answered by the hard core AMC mechanic and historical expert. I am currently restoring a 1974 Gremlin with the stock 304 V8. I am replacing the 2 vacuum switches, the one on the back side of the thermostat housing and the one on the intake manifold between the voltage regulator and the oil filler tube. O'Reilley's sold me a unit from a company named Standard with a model number of PVS19. Here's the problem, when I removed the two vacuum switches, they had different AMC stock numbers on them. This leads me to believe they have different performance qualities and replacing both of them with the aforementioned PVS19 may not be a good idea. The thermostat switch was marked with 3216 448 and the intake manifold switch had 3218 940. I have not been able to find any information on those numbers nor can I find more than one switch designated for this car/engine.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 7:15am
I'll bet if you put a wanted ad here, you can find the exact AMC switchs!

Are you replacing the originals because they don't work? Or for cosmetic purposes?

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
frnthaf View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnthaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 8:19am
Cosmetic. Frankly, I don’t know if they work. Good idea. I’ll try the want ads. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic