TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need some AC advice/help EXP VALVE FIXED!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some AC advice/help EXP VALVE FIXED!!!!!!
    Posted: May/05/2020 at 8:31pm
In need some help with my add on AC/Heat.  I picked up a working used Sanden Compressor, used clean condenser, new dryer, new hoses, new evaporator/heat unit.  Since the compressor was used I drained and refilled the oil according to Sanden specs.  Everything connected and working, but I cant get it to cool to any lower than 60 degrees at the vent.  Heat not on.  I found no leaks, it held a vacuum for 3 weeks before I charged it.  No noise from the compressor, engages fine when powered on and spins like it should.

When I hook up the gauges and I get 80 psi static on both gauges at 80 degree ambient temp.  When its running, on high, the Low Side gauge is at 95 psi, and the High Side is at 90 psi. Looking at the sight glass on the gauges it looks pretty frothy, like its got a lot of air in the system.  According to the charts the Low should be 40-50 psi and the High should be 175-210 psi.

So what am I missing?  I don't have a problem evacuating and recharging, If I need to replace something I can do that, I'm just kind of stuck as to my next step. Confused

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Tom

Edited by Texas275 - May/17/2020 at 4:29pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 8:49pm
Expansion valve? 
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 9:33pm
Its is new with the evap/heater.  Is there a way to test it, before I just buy one and put it on?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Texas275 Texas275 wrote:

Its is new with the evap/heater.  Is there a way to test it, before I just buy one and put it on?

an actual method to test I don't know. you don't really have much of any pressure differential which to me says it doesn't work.

Edited by Heavy 488 - May/05/2020 at 10:08pm
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 10:39pm
Sounds like a plan.  They are cheap and easy to get to.  I'll see if I can pick one up locally tomorrow.  If not, I'm sure amazon has one. Thanks for the jumping off point.

Tom
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 11:04pm
wrong expansion valve. R12 and 134 should be different as the freon molecules are different sizes. 
will they interchange, sure, but won't be as effective. 
i think your problem lies elsewhere. compressor valves likely
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 11:11pm
I suspect the used compressor. You have neither suction nor pressure. Is it R134A? If so, ignore the sight glass, it only works with R12. I don’t think it is your problem but did you charge into the vacuum? When it is working the high side should not be over twice ambient plus 80 degrees.

Edited by 6768rogues - May/05/2020 at 11:16pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 9:08am
 It is a 134 evap system so I figure it is a 134 expansion valve. When I charged it initially it held vacuum for 3 three weeks before charging. I charged it with the vacuum pulled. It took it a while but it pulled all the 134 in. That was about a month ago. It was down into the 40 degree range at the vent. But now it won’t get any lower than 60 at the vent. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 9:30am
what's the temp coming into the evaporator?

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 11:22am
Is the rest of the system stock or aftermarket? The problem is withe the pressure differential - there's not enough of it. Expansion valve is the #1 suspect.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic