TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 Javelin Rear Quarter Window Adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordyzx9r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 Javelin Rear Quarter Window Adjustments
    Posted: Apr/18/2020 at 6:12pm
So, in my continuing effort to get the interior back into this '71 Javelin...it keeps fighting me every step of the way.

We put new window felts on the rear quarter interior trim pieces and the fitment was so tight that when we tried to roll the windows up/down it tore the felts off the trim pieces (we had origianlly attached them with an adhesive).  

So we took them off and started over, took the felt material off the strips, put in metal staples, reapplied the felt...got them fitted and the staples secured  into the trim.  Put them in the car again and the rear windows are still binding on them towards the front.

We put in new door seals and new felts.

I have the service manual, but honestly that thing just doesn't do a good job of letting you know how to adjust the rear quarter windows.  I also have the parts manual but I'm a little confused by Group 23 L26 and L27 and the type 1 vs. type 2.

One of the things I noticed was this:

So, moved that and put a washer and nut on it to keep it in place.

Tried it again...and it's still binding.  So, how do you adjust these things. What does what here?

1.  What does this adjust?

2.  What do these adjust?  The one on the right is an adjustment screw of some kind.  But does that bolt on the left adjust anything or is it just to secure it?

3.  These two bolts seem to hold the regulator in place, but can you use them to adjust the placement of the glass?

4.  Do the 4 bolts there around the crank just hold the regulator to the housing?

Right now this is what it looks like with the trim and felt installed.   Decent gap towards the back, but it's way to tight up front and impossible to roll up/down with how it binds towards the front.

Edited by gordyzx9r - Apr/18/2020 at 6:22pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2020 at 9:47pm
From your pictures it looks like you need to move the front window guide track outward. I think that would be the rusty bolt in the notch at the top. Loosen it and the track should be able to move a little in every direction. As for the screw and nut at the bottom of the track I believe that it provides the in/out adjustment at the top of the window so it will align with the roof rail weatherstrip and the back edge of the door glass. You loosely snug up the nut and then you can turn the threaded adjustment screw in and out which moves the bottom of the track in and out. This in/out adjustment at the bottom of the track adjusts the in/out angle at the top of the window when the window is rolled up.

I believe the 4 window regulator attachment bolts around the window crank have no adjustment. There are lots of adjustment points: Front track,top and bottom, rear track top and bottom, and the little slide channel that guides the bottom of the moveable regulator arm. This adjustment alters the rotational axis of the window as it raises. This adjustment is to make the leading edge of the back window align and be parallel to the rear edge of the door window.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2020 at 10:01pm
Welcome to the nightmare that's the Javelin quarter windows! LOL Trying to adjust them will bring Cry to your eyes. Javelins are 70 series cars and the best picture I know of is on this page in the upper left corner.  http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service%20-%20rescan/image406.html  It shows you what the different adjustments are. One the page prior to this one there's a description of how to get started and it does help get it going plus it does some explaing on how to get the glass to move certain ways. I've spent days trying to get them right and getting the fronts to work with them. Sadly I have to look at the right rear in my car as is won't roll down properly now without some help. Hope this helps and good luck!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
gordyzx9r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordyzx9r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Welcome to the nightmare that's the Javelin quarter windows! LOL Trying to adjust them will bring Cry to your eyes. Javelins are 70 series cars and the best picture I know of is on this page in the upper left corner.  http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service%20-%20rescan/image406.html  It shows you what the different adjustments are. One the page prior to this one there's a description of how to get started and it does help get it going plus it does some explaing on how to get the glass to move certain ways. I've spent days trying to get them right and getting the fronts to work with them. Sadly I have to look at the right rear in my car as is won't roll down properly now without some help. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks, I decided to just take the whole thing out and look at it from the opposite side to to get a better idea of what all the screws and bolts actually do.

Lots of gunk binding the channel guide rollers so I took the channel guide out and cleaned out years of gunk.  

At the end of the day, it looks like all you can really do is adjust the channel guide top and bottom.  I think what my issue is after looking at pics of other window felts is that I had it positioned to far towards the back on the trim piece so the front of the rear quarter window chrome trim/weather seal falls in front of the felt and binds against it.  

Front up stop.

Rear up stop.

Glass in the up position meeting the rear up stop.

Upper channel guide bolt pushed out.

Upper channel guide bolt pulld in.

Left bolt is the lower stop.  The screw on the right pushes out the channel guide.

Lower stop with window up.

Lower stop with window down.

69BBBJav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBBJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 8:56pm
Good description and pics about quarter window adjustment. I`m having the same issue on my 69 Javelin. Passenger side quarter window too tight against inner interior panel. I popped the chrome trim piece off front of window trying to roll it down. Here`s a pic from my 69 TSM showing like 4 adjustment points on bottom channel, but pic shows a cut out in the metal plate which my large metal plate doesn`t have that area cut out. Guess I might need to remove the plate to see behind it. Good point about felt being ahead of chrome trim piece. The rubber outer molding sits just behind the front trim piece.
borre.olsen View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borre.olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 5:09am
Hi. Im also alligning my quarter window on my 71 Javelin. Take all day, think Im pretty satisfyed now, but.... its very hard to roll down, got new weatherstripping and the rubber seems thicker than original. Had to smooth out some vaseline on the rubber so its easier to roll the window up and down. 

Can you please explain the roller guide with two adjusting bolts on, how it works, and what it does.
Thanks Big smile
69BBBJav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBBJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:30am
Well , I ended up putting the adjustments back to where they were when I first started which was factory settings I imagine. Was kind of a nightmare trying to adjust so I put the settings the same as the other side. They work pretty good...just have to watch the outer rubber weather strip getting stuck behind the front chrome on window when rolling down. Lubed everything in there while the panel was off (tracks and rollers)
If your talking about the 2 adj. screws on the top ledge at the rear....the rear one was the rear stop I believe. Can slide it forward or back. The screw goes into a little rubber bumper thing that will end up spinning around when you loosen screw. Look into slot with a light and you`ll see it. The front screw on the rear ledge goes inward and out for the track I believe. Mine`s a 69 so it might be a little different. Hope that helps...good luck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic