TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin/Hornet floor pans in Spirit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin/Hornet floor pans in Spirit?
    Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 2:00pm

I need Spirit floor pans and was wondering if these can be made to fit.  I am not sure how close or how far away they are form each other.  Can they me massaged to fit? 

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 2:02pm
I don't have any experience with replacements, but gee, they should be the same or very close. An Eagle will have a different floor pan to make room for the transfer case.
Not sure if the catalytic converter on a Spirit raised the floor on that side or not?

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 5:38pm
I also do not have actual experience swapping these floor pans...however...I do have both Gremmies and Spirits, and from what I can tell as an observer, is that they are almost identical.
I don't think anyone here would even know the difference once they are in place on the car.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 6:11pm
Thanks for the responses.  It's for a race car so close is good enough for me.

Joeyknuckles1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeyknuckles1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2020 at 6:23pm
can you help me out with some education . i 2 need floor pans for my 1980 spirit did the gremlin pans work out ? and how hard were they to install?
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 7:52am
Joey,
Ok, to partially answer your questions. I have worked in the auto collision and restoration business for a long time. With that said there are many variables in restoration work. Your skill set, tools and of course your budget is the big one. Also the level of restoration that you want to accomplish. If you want to exactly replicate the factory contours, seams, etc.. etc..  then be prepared for a much larger budget. If the objective is usability that looks good, then you have a lot of options. Using a floor pan that is similar would be the alternative. 
Next you would ask yourself if you want to replicate factory seams. This might require more work in some cases. Example: Many AMC's have a seam on the front floor pans that runs side to side on the car. The location is directly under the heal of your shoe when driving. It is the place where the floor pans meets the upward angled floor pan/firewall. Some other cars such as a early mustang do not have this seam.  If you replace the entire floor pan in your car and the rust is higher then the seam ( always is), you would need two patch panels. If the replication of the seam is not that important, you could use one patch panel.
A few things to consider and to do; 
measure the floor pan, width and length
note any contours, body lines, offsets, holes etc...
note factory seams - where on panel ends and the next begins- especially the amount of overlap
are the adjoining panels in good shape or rusted as well

Once you have some idea of the shape and size you can research similar panels to use as an alternative. ( I personally like the early mustang floor pans as they are close in general shape to many other cars including my Javelin and very affordable)(did I mention available and affordable)

Another item to consider, regardless of what floor pan you get (even a Spirit panel) you will need to trim, finesse and make alterations to the panel before you install that panel. The internet panels for sale leave a lot to be desired and require extensive amount of finesse to install ( ask anyone who has installed the trunk floor panels for a Javelin)

Regardless of the floor pan you use, everyone of them will require work. Cutting a few relief lines, adding some extra metal, etc is all part of the game
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

mben View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 1:55pm
Javelin_GT any update on what you ended up using and how it worked for you?
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 5:41pm
The car ended up with another AMC guy who is going to get another Spirit floor pan.  So never found out.
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 9:19pm
C2C products for AMC are junk.  I wouldn't use them except as a last resort.  I just can't believe how horrible they are.  Absolutely no pride in craftsmanship....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic