TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing chain and gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing chain and gears
    Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 9:49am
My 1970 AMX 360 has 59000 mile's on it and I am thinking of replacing the timing chain and gears as well as the distributor gear set for preventive maintenance. The motor is pretty much stock, but I do like to put the pedal to the floor at time's. So with this in mind does it make any sense to get a double roller set up instead of just the stock set up. Has anybody here used the timing gears offered by American Parts Depot and would they recommend them, if not can you recommend where I should get them from. I have read about the problems with the oiling passage ways on some gears and want to avoid the problems.
Thank you all in advance for your valued experience.
   Ron
1970 360 AMX
1980 Spirit DL
    IN GOD WE TRUST
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 10:03am
Roll Master
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 12:49pm
Stock nylon-tipped gears are crap. Nylon gets old, chips off teeth, and suddenly your timing chain slips. I recommend throwing that crap as far as you can...then go find it, and throw it twice as far.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by myrambler myrambler wrote:

Roll Master
X2

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 1:38pm
For a stock rebuild the Cloyes 3118 are fine, they are 2 oil groove face of late and not the 6 groove, don't use the Summit gears or the Cloyes 3008.
Rollmaster are still the best, no argument there, but pricey for a stock rebuild. 
As usual, all oil passages have to be checked.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 3:01pm
And imho your stock AMC Distributor Drive gears should be fine an are irreplaceable / gold plated ! LOL
Timing chain change is understandable, but boy be careful with the Oil passages ! as mentioned.
It is posted elsewhere on the forum, but will put it here also...

CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 3:21pm
Friend of mine just received a new Cloyes non roller for his stock 304. Had to send it back due to to alot of slack in the chain. Called up Cloyes and they are sending a replacement. I have re-used rollmasters from used engines before that were still nice and tight
keiths 70 AMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 3:32pm
Thanks for all the knowledge, you guy's are great. Any opinion on single or double. Is a double a waste of money for my motor?
1970 360 AMX
1980 Spirit DL
    IN GOD WE TRUST
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 3:57pm
I myself have no basis for opinion on single or double row.
Did only 3 builds long ago and got the best Cloyes at the time and it was USA made.
Unsure if Cloyes still offers the 'best' one anymore or not, they used to offer 4 different ones.

# 9-3118 "True" Double Roller
# 9-132 Chain Only

# 9-1118 Street "True" Roller
# 9-142 Chain Only

# C-3091 "Heavy Duty" Double Roller Set
# C-179 Chain Only

# C3008K "Premium" Timing Sets
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 6:59pm
Roll Master would be a trouble free install!  With no issues
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic