TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

343 with no oil Pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 343 with no oil Pressure
    Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:37pm
What’s up guys finally getting back to the project that’s been on the back burner for a long time. 
My 68 AMC Rebel 343 engine 

So I’ve searched and done research on the issue I’m having with the engine. So I bought the short block assembled and threw on my original rebuilt heads I had. I didn’t use my original engine because my machine shop lost my block, yeah I know long story. Anyways bought it threw on original timing cover. New pump and pressure spring gears and original filter housing. Filled it with petroleum jelly and tried to prime the oil pump. Didn’t get no oil pressure. 
I bought another timing cover thinking it might have been the clearances and I was still having the same issues. That was ten years ago and now I just pulled the engine. 
I did try and prime the pump again before I pulled the engine and I also did the petroleum jelly again. No oil pressure. I removed the intake manifold while I primed it and I can see the oil coming to the top of the lifter valley and as well as the distributor hole( had to stop priming so the oil wouldn’t over flow out of the distributor hole). 
So after trying those things and getting frustrated I finally pulled the engine and now am ready to tear it apart. 

What are the things I should look for as far as oil galley holes and passages. Should I be looking at cam bearings and how they are positioned I know that they go in certain positions. 

I’ve built small block chevys and other engines before. It’s my first AMC, all the info and help is appreciated it feels nice to finally get back on a car I’ve had for so many years but never got to. I do have a factory manual and have read it fully. 

Edited by Rebel68343 - Feb/09/2020 at 8:46pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:47pm
You see oil and no pressure?
Is there a missing gallery plug at the front of the lifter valley? 
Rebel68343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:53pm
I originally had no galley plugs it in at the two holes towards the front of the engine. Then I read on here that they should be plugged so I plugged them no change in the oil pressure gauge. 
Btw I’m running a mechanical pressure gauge, I did also blow the plastic line to the gauge itself to make sure it was good 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 9:04pm
Any missing plugs in the block behind the cam gear?

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 10:43pm
I haven’t pulled the timing chain gear off yet but I am going to look at that as well. 
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:14pm
 Oil pressure relief spring and plunger installed ? Cracked oil pickup tube ?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:20pm
The gauge any good?  Went through that before 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:44pm
Oil pressure relief spring new and so was plunger. Moving freely and not hanging up. I haven’t inspected the oil pick up that’s something I’ll look at 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:45pm
I just purchased another gauge, as of right now when I get to the engine which is in long block form I’ll test the new gauge 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel68343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:47pm
Thanks for he suggestion guys so far I gotta check the galley plugs behind timing chain and the pickup tube 

I’ll try and post pics if I can figure it out how to post then 

What tool are you guys using to prime this pump? I’ve been using a flathead screwdriver attachment on a drill would like to buy an actual prime tool if there’s one 
Thanks for the help !! 

Edited by Rebel68343 - Feb/09/2020 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic