TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

343 cylinder heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 343 cylinder heads
    Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 1:55pm
Do all the 343 heads / #558 use the same head bolts - did some need the stepped head bolts? I was told later heads need the stepped bolts but am not aware of that. Thanks for any and all help. Dean/Fargo
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 4:04pm
343 heads use 7/16" head bolts, later dog leg heads use 1/2" bolts, you need stepped washers and stepped locating dowels to install later heads on an early block with 7/16" bolts unless you want to drill and tap the block for 1/2" bolts and locating dowels.

For all heads, the lower row of bolts is shorter than the rest.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 4:38pm
The 1968 and 1969 343 use 7/16" flanged head bolts like on the left. The 1967 343 used non-flanged head bolts like on the right.
IMG_1755 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 4:56pm
For a rebuild, my opinion would be to use heavy, small diameter, grade 8 washers under a head bolt posted on the right.

Putting later heads on an early block, you should be using step washers and studs. Correct engine studs are rated for a higher tensile strength, can be reused and produce a better clamping force.

BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:08am
One of my sayings is "just because you get away with something, doesn't mean it was smart".  So I'm willing to change my mind, but I never had a problem with later heads on early blocks using the stock 7/16 bolts.  Looking at Rick's picture, I always had the flanged style bolts, didn't know that there were two types before either.  Never heard of stepped washers until the Edelbrock heads came out.  Seems obvious to me you would need them on the softer aluminum heads.  But have people really been using stepped washers on iron heads for 50 years?
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:52am
This is related but may not answer the question in everybody's mind. I used to race big block Chevies 396-427 in NHRA Stock and Super Stock.  it was found while testing on a flow bench that if you moved the head laterally a little (.060') that the intake flow picked up a bit.  Also, when using OEM pistons in Stock Eliminator, exhaust valve clearance was extremely tight and we were not allowed to machine the pistons.  If the head were moved up on the block surface by a small amount (.060") the exhaust valve to piston clearance was increased by .040' or so and we could increase the camshaft exhaust duration.  Moroso sells offset heads bushings in .030" and .060" offset bushings to accommodate this practice. In order to move a BBC head that much the bolts holes in the head had to be enlarged to 1/2" or 33/64". We still used the stock size 7/16" bolts and never had any problems even on 12:1 compression engines.  You had to used hardened washers under the bolt head though.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:53am
Nah, I do believe you can get away with flat washers or maybe even none, but since you can get the stepped washers now, why not use them.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

One of my sayings is "just because you get away with something, doesn't mean it was smart".  So I'm willing to change my mind, but I never had a problem with later heads on early blocks using the stock 7/16 bolts.  Looking at Rick's picture, I always had the flanged style bolts, didn't know that there were two types before either.  Never heard of stepped washers until the Edelbrock heads came out.  Seems obvious to me you would need them on the softer aluminum heads.  But have people really been using stepped washers on iron heads for 50 years?

Yea, I learned the hard way that there is a different torque setting on the 1966-1967 engines vs 1968-1969 and the only difference is the flanged head bolt vs non-flanged.
My assumpton is that when the 390 came out in 1968 they changed the head bolts for all of the V8 engines to the flanged type and bumped up the torque.
1966 & 1967 Head Bolt Torque Spec. 72-77 #/ft. (7/16" Head Bolts)

1968 & 1969 Head Bolt Torque Spec. 90-100 #/ft. (7/16" Flanged Head Bolts)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic