TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Recommendation for ac hose send out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for ac hose send out
    Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 9:54pm
Trying to get my 69 amx ac running, it has a leak at the high side, compressor to condenser hose fitting. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable place to send the hose out to get a replacement made? That line has a multi-angle fitting at the condenser side, which I can't replicate. 
Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 10:11pm
If there is a local Pirtek location, they may be able to help you.  They should have a tube bending machine to form the lines as needed.

If you are in the Washington, DC area there is a location in Rockville, MD.

It most likely wont be duplicated exactly as the original, but should be a good replacement.

Best to call first.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 11:36pm
A friend who owns a shop referred me to a small local shop where they do great AC work. If you know anyone in the car repair business, they will know where to go locally. Or call the one I mentioned: http://www.howardroadgarage.net/general_auto_repair.html?utm_campaign=Auto+Repairs+%26+Accident+Repair&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=automotive%20repairs&utm_content=2022630xEAIaIQobChMIv73a1av95gIVjozICh3hWA-BEAAYASAAEgI9N_D_BwE
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Zyzx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 10:26am
I appreciate it. I will give Pirtek a shot first. Do they carry a decent supply of ac fittings or are they mostly hydraulics? I am changing the service valves (I ordered those online) and I need to change the 90 deg fittings coming off the compressor on both the high and low sides. Are those 90 deg fittings standard length? They seem to be a little oversized. 

All the ac hoses and fittings on the car are the originals. There is also a leak at the suction side 90 deg fitting so I need to fix that as well. I'm hoping I can reuse that original hose to the suction side by putting a new fitting or reusing the old one with a new ferrule, if thats's possible, there's enough hose lengthwise for that to work. It's in great shape otherwise, and has the green date coded markings, so I'd like to use it if at all possible. I do have a crimping tool and ferrules. I don't mind paying for a shop to do it as long as it's going to be done correctly. 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 11:55am
Try Cold Air, Ocala, FL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 12:29pm
If you have the ferrules and crimping tool, then you can maybe re-use your fittings.  If the fittings are not correct, then you need to replace them.  My experience is that there are standard fittings available, but you may need ones that have a longer (or shorter) drop on the angle to fit your vehicle.

If you remove the old fittings and re-couple the ends, your overall assembly will be shorter.

Don't forget that today's Freon may not be compatible with the older hoses produced 50 years ago.

The Pirtek branch here in Chicago was helpful.  Best to call the one in your area to make sure.  My experience though is that they will not be able to produce the exact crimp that AMC used originally on the hoses.  Not sure anyone can.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

Zyzx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 9:22pm
I'm not able to find  Cold Air in Ocala, FL using a google search, do you have an address/number or website link? 

The fittings are the originals but after removing the crimped ferrule it's not possible to get a new ferrule between the two Beadlock bubbles. At least without modifying the ferrule or grinding down the outer most bubble. There's enough length on the low side hose to cut the end and attach a new fitting. The high side, compressor to condenser will be too short so I will have to use a new hose. I'm using R12 (old stock) so it shouldn't be an issue. 

I'll call Pirtek and see what they say. I'm surprised that there's no preferred vendor that's known for doing these amc hoses. 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2020 at 7:29am
My Bad.....Embarrassed........Its Cold Hose

Cold Hose
3611 NW 27th Ave
Ocala, FL

Phone 800-223-7167

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Zyzx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 8:02pm
I spoke with a few places, all of them said that they cut off the fitting right at the ferrule and braze an new piece on. No one really makes anything from scratch anymore I guess. I ordered new 90 deg fittings for the compressor high and low sides. They were were shorter but worked fine. I was able to reuse the hose on the suction side after cutting off the end, which was frayed. It was a pain getting the ferrule to slide into the old hose. I think with age the hose had swelled. I used a Dremel to sand it down a bit, both on the inside and outside then vacuumed the hose really well.

On the high side, condenser I cut off the end fitting at the ferrule  and brazed a new ferrule myself using this adapter. I used a new hose here.  I pressurized the system to 100 psi and it seems to be holding fine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic