TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jeff's Headers using Grace Billet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff's Headers using Grace Billet
    Posted: Nov/07/2019 at 8:42pm
Jeff asked me to post his new header modifications....Grace Billet with 2" stepped to 2 1/8 with Burns collectors. Chassis guy said the install is nice N easy....I did tell Jeff less than 30 min. to install both sides. I guess Jeff's AMX will not be leaving the Chassis shop for another 4 weeks....He is going to back half the AMX and stuff 14x31 slicks in...

Edited by jtsllc1 - Nov/07/2019 at 8:45pm
JTSLLC1
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2019 at 8:49pm
That is all killer.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 6:15am
Auto jewelry for sure!

-Steve-
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 9:14am
Great looking AMX and very nice man to become acquainted with.
He makes that car run Great! using a stock Motorcraft carburetor? ('class rule' requirement?)
Here is an interesting link related to carburetor cfm size which gives additional insight on why some people like these can make big power with what otherwise seems to be a small carb:

http://www.epi-eng.com/mechanical_engineering_basics/power_and_torque.htm

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/thermal_efficiency.htm

Commentary on the headers: The 'fit quality' is the tough part, and this looks like a good fit ...and a lot of work.

The chrome ? is more than 'eye candy': better than paint, it's a heat tolerant protective coating to prevent rust and give longer lifespan for all the hard work done.

As I understand it, the stepped header concept is done in order to create stronger exhaust pulse signals -to increase volumetric efficiency (to increase airflow through the engine)

However, someone like "Headers by Ed" would argue against stepped header design by asserting they lose their stronger signal due to decreased velocity caused by the various expansions of the tubing diameter.

http://www.headersbyed.com/

These two companies (Headers by Ed and EPI Engineering) are my two most influential teachers when it came time to make XRV8 Gremlin's headers.

As far as I can tell, both their instructions tend to agree with the Laws of Physics as set forth on  Georgia State University's website named "HyperPhysics":

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

The chrome plating will help insulate and hold heat in the tubes to increase exhaust vapor velocity. If they were simply painted black, black (and other dark colors) have higher emmissivity to release heat from the tubing which would reduce exhaust vapor velocity (reduce air speed) -as outlined in Law of Physics pertaining to 'gas laws'.

As I understand it, the primary physics of good induction and scavenging systems is called 'constructive and destructive interference' -a particular category of gas flow/behavior of a vapor flowing through a tube.

Constructive and destructive resonance is a major factor in what is called 'ram effect' and/or 'scavenging effect'.

I don't believe constructive and destructive resonance is a new discovery in Laws of Physics, rather it's been known for a comparatively long time?

It has to do with molecular vibration energy which organizes in 'waves', and acoustics -where sound energy (which is a vibration) demonstrates wave formation as well -both molecular and sound waves have 'resonant frequencies' and both have interplay with intelligent header design.

Resonant frequencies, molecular and acoustic, have to do with 'tuned length' header design.

We should be able to hear a distinct change in the sound of this car due to the stepped header design changing the acoustic/sound wave formations coming out of the engine.

Obviously the purpose here, on this particular drag race car, is to create increased scavenging effect, in the higher rpm ranges, hopefully to increase the airflow through the engine with a stock AM Motorcraft 4300 carb? (whereas the Motorcraft 4350 is a spread bore like Rochester Quadrajet)

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 9:25am
...looks like he took his wheelie bars off...

Ahh... notice the custom fabricated removable engine crossover and custom fabricated full length oil pan = super cool/I like it. (of course he'll need super duty bump stops on his wheelie popper's front suspension to protect the pan and crossmember done that way

For any other AMCers who might need extra big bump stops to protect their headers, maybe consider using front suspension bump stop from '70 Dodge Monaco like ACDELCO 45G1007 -they're bigger than the current Moog replacement part which appears to be first made for the smaller Dart/Valiant/Barracuda unibodies.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Nov/08/2019 at 9:55am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 9:59am
Fantastic job! I wish there were more hi res photos of the headers and flanges. A real good combo there. 
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 3:58pm
Did Jeff ever complete & test the intake manifold he was building out of the Mopar top?? I used to follow along with the build on the old AMC forum.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 4:04pm
Just to correct the assuming...

The Headers are not Chrome..... Jeff decided to polish the Stainless tubing and he also polished the Cold Roll Steel Billets and added bungs... As far as the large  2" stepped to 2 1/8" I think came from Adkins real world results he felt Jeff should run with his new combo. But Jeff wanted a little more so the Grace Billet increased Jeffs flow to a 2 1/4 size pipe.... So this should be interesting....I told Jeff I can increase the Grace Billet I.D. if need be  but I really do not think he needs to.

I.M.O. for my combo I like the ceramic coated headers and I like the 1 5/8 stepped to 1 3/4 with a 2.5" dia. collector hat. With real world experiance the stepped header gives me the best of both worlds. No loss on the power under 5800RPM with 500+ @5500 RPM with a mild 401 or 500+ with a 360@5890 RPM and no problems running 7000 RPM. Just like one of the pioneers of racing Jim Dugan Stated...

I was thinking 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 for Jeff but in the end I let the results dictate what size the combo likes.

FYI Jeff had headers by ED 2 sets ago he made more power with the next set so he sold Eds to a Forum member.

Edited by jtsllc1 - Nov/08/2019 at 4:06pm
JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 4:25pm
The Mopar Intake is complete and already fired up.... Jeff is good to go...That is if he stops adding to his list after the back half being done now. But I agree with Jeff if the Chassis guy says he has time right now I would also leave the car with him.... A 4 week in and out avoiding chassis shop jail is the way to go. Keep the front end down to save the headers and the oil pan...

Edited by jtsllc1 - Nov/08/2019 at 4:53pm
JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 11:17pm
Here is a pic of the flange with 2" pipe with out polish Jeff purchased. 

JTSLLC1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic