TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX quarter window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2019 at 3:08pm
David,
Spoke to Doug today at ADP. He feels the correct way to install quarter glass seal is to use sealant on the bottom of quarter glass. That way seal won't inch it's way backwards. Then as I figured, fab a piece of seal to take up the outside gap unless you can shift the inside  outward pushing the lower portion outward taking up the gap.
good luck.
talon out
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
ajgiii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2019 at 4:46pm
Talon,
Thank you for the research. My 71 rear window has cork strips to hold the glass in the channel. Am pleased to see using RTV is good. Replacing cork for cork 30 years ago was a challenge.

b/r
John
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2019 at 8:54pm
Thanks everyone for the info. Still trying to figure out how to get rid of all the gaps of the seal. Huge space around seal this is going to let a ton of water in.
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 5:05am
David0141,
Can you post a few pictures? My situation sounds the same as yours but sealing the bottom of the seal to the glass should hold the seal in place at the front edge. Shifting the inside of the quarter glass outward fills the outside gap.  The trim panel along the top inside should push the seal over into the glass. After talking with Doug I check mine again and looks like it works much better with his suggestions.  Pretty close to correct.  Seeing yours might help. If not .. good luck getting it right.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 9:07am
Is it possible to make a full length shim to take up the gap on the inside inner edge ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 10:15am
Let's see what happens here with picture.

Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 11:35am
David0141,
Looks like mine pretty much .. I'd send a pic but I'm traveling overseas.
So pushing the inside outward doesn't take up most that gap? The trim inside is going to push in the same way when in place.
Even new I think there may of been an issue .. or though the year of sun and weather. Both mine had corrosion below at the bottom of kick panel. Good luck getting it straightened out. Wish I could help more.
Talonfcc566
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 7:36pm
Old thread, but I just installed a set of the door weather seals and they fit pretty well.  Covers all the way up to the front, some gap side to side to side but looks ok.  I may make a shim of some kind to tighten the sides up a little.

Next problem: I have a pretty good sized hole near the lower-rear of the quarter window near the chrome trim.  About the same on both sides but a little worse on the drivers side.  On the DS, I adjusted the chrome weather strip trough to the outside as far as the slot in the trim allows and it helped some.  I can easily see the light from a flashlight set on the wheel-well in the trunk.  What is typically done to seal this area?

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 6:55am
The factory never did seal this gap up at the back of the window. This is probably why rust out around the upper part of the rear wheel opening is so common. Seal it up with some black strip caulk (dum dum).
Make sure your body drain holes are open in the rocker area under the quarter window. Also, there's a drain gap opening at the lower edge of the quarter panel behind the rear wheel opening. The gap is about one inch wide and it's at the junction of the edge of the lower outer quarter panel tuck under area where it's spot welded to the vertical trunk drop off panel. The gap/opening is formed into the lower edge of the trunk drop off panel on each side. On many cars the factory plugged these openings off with dum dum or caulk. This drop off area inside the trunk gets filled with dust, dirt and other junk that causes the rust in the lower rear quarters. This area should be totally clear and open all the way down to the drain opening. If that opening is plugged then open it up.   
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 7:04am
Thanks George!  I was afraid that might be the case.  I didn't remember anything coming out of there, but I had the body media blasted and it must have gotten knocked off during the blast.  I will thoroughly check the drainage as you suggested.  The drain holes for the vent in the front were plugged when I first got the car.  All of them are probably full of blast media and body shop dust now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic