TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Guide plates for roller rockers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgerammit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 12:00am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Does Scorpion also offer bolt-in Roller Rockers for the bridged rocker AMC heads ?

Yes. In both non adjustable and adjustable(which is neat), Still, you are stuck using the 5/16 bolt to mount. I'd like to step it up to the studs for peace of mine.
84 Grand Wagoneer Garnet Red (mine)360/727/229 44/20
84 AMC Eagle Wagon (Wife's) Deep blue 258/mushbox/129 30/15
dodgerammit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgerammit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 12:04am
Just ordered the guide plates from the recommended link.
84 Grand Wagoneer Garnet Red (mine)360/727/229 44/20
84 AMC Eagle Wagon (Wife's) Deep blue 258/mushbox/129 30/15
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 6:08pm
Are guide plates really necessary? Why can't one use the stock hole/slot in the cast iron head? 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

Are guide plates really necessary? Why can't one use the stock hole/slot in the cast iron head? 

If you're using a head up to 1973 (non-bridged) you don't need guide plates.  The pushrod hole in the head was oval, and just large enough for the pushrod, so the head acted as a guide plate.  Once they went to bridged rockers in 1974, the pushrod hole is much larger and round, so it doesn't hold the pushrod.  The bridged rocker held itself square.  If you swap a 74-up head to individual rockers, then you need a guide plate to hold the rocker square.  The exception is the Harland-Sharp (maybe Scorpion) roller rockers that have a pin between the rockers to hold them square.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the clarification. Thumbs Up
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

On a 1984 360 head, to use those rockers you will need to machine the pedestals ~ .375" and use guide plates.  The stud holes in the head will need to be drilled and tapped to 7/16".  You will probably need a custom or different length pushrod and need to buy the studs.  By the time you're all-in, look at Harland-Sharp rockers that are a bolt-in.

Bob
tufcj
Bob..
So you are basically milling the top of the pedestal down the thickness of the guide plate..??
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 7:39am
My suggestion on bridged rocker heads is to use Harland-Sharp or Scorpion rollers made for the bridged rocker heads.  That way you avoid guide plates.  There's also someone here who used LS rockers.

If you're converting bridged rocker heads to individual rockers, the pedestals on the later heads are taller.  You need to mill about .250" + the thickness of the guide plate (usually .125") from the pedestal.  You'll also need the holes drilled/tapped to 7/16" for GM style studs.  By the time you pay someone for all the machine work, your in the price range of the H-S or Scorpion rockers.  Someone here on the forum is a H-S distributor, you might price them out.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 11:07am
Thanks Bob appreciate the response .
Have you priced a set of H.S. recently..??
Last set I purchased was like 450.00 and they have increased in price dramatically. Plus lead times are outrageous too. 4 months out on Summits site and we all know that could not be itself case either. 
I've got a set of roller tipped rockers that I'll be having to use on a set of 74 502's for a .60 over 360 for my Jeep project. 
I'll also be running holley super stealth sniper system to feed it. Big smile
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic