TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 8:05am
John,
Nothing to set the kickdown cable. 

With both cables installed, carb and kickdown, and the carb cable adjusted to your satisfaction, do this:
Have someone press the accelerator pedal to the floor, loosen the kickdown cable pull through hex nut  with an allen wrench,  pull the kickdown cable as tight as you can and tighten the nut. You should be adjusted perfectly. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 7:12am
Thanks for the support Ollie! 

The trans shop said they've used the Lokar cables many times so I think everything will be OK. Also the carb was already set up with the throttle cable and the carb went from fully closed to fully open just fine. I imagine it might need some tweaking but the engine was running when the Trans shop got it. The bad part is that since its snowing up here right now.. the trans shop can't set the kick down until Spring when the car can be driven outside on dry ground. Fortunately.. they are only 4-5 blocks away from my house anyway.. so getting it back to them in spring will be easy. The car will not be driven until then anyway.

As you already know.. I do not personally have a heated space to work on it in and the shop that its been sitting at while being worked on is going to be opening up as an Auto Sales and Service business very soon. So the car has to be mothballed until Spring at this point. Once April or May get here.. I'll get the front end aligned and then off to another exhaust shop.

I can't wait for you to see the Concord too! Quite honestly hanging out with you and seeing all the detailed work you did on your Rambler Convertible at the last show convinced me it was time to do more to my car! So thanks for the added inspiration!

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Nov/15/2019 at 7:35am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2019 at 7:31am
Know what you mean about dealing with shops and vendors, John. That was a bad deal especially considering you had to take a day off work. 

You will be happy with the Lokar cables, expensive but they are worth it. Never had a issue with the many I have installed and used. 

Sorry to hear that you will have to shut down your project for the winter. I am lucky tho, I can work year round in my shop. I do have to shut down on the coldest days as my heat only consists of butane burners on 5 gallon bottles. As long as its in the 50's i can keep it very nice. I can heat my paint room, its only 12' X 20', toasty warm no matter what. 

Looking forward to see you and the Concord in Kenosha.

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 9:05am
Just a few parts to show off today. Trans. shop now has my car to install new transmission. After that... the body shop will have it for a few weeks. Most likely the car will be mothballed until next Spring very soon. Once Spring hits... the car will get the exhaust completed and tuned.

The only recent set back I had was yesterday. I called last week on Tues and set the appt. up  for the exhaust. I specifically told them that I would be bringing the car in in a trailer and they assured me that it would be done right away... so I could come back to pick it up and take it to the trans shop before the end of the night. I dropped the car off at Dave's Muffler in Kenosha, WI at 8:30AM... the assured me that my car would be completed around 12-1PM... I called at 2PM to tell them I was coming to pick up the car but they said they weren't done yet. So after I got off the phone with them I just went down there to see how far along they were. Well when I get there come to find out they didn't start it at all! Then they assured me that they would get it done first thing in the morning right away! Problem with that whole scenario is that I only had off work for that day to get everything accomplished! So I got p'd off then told them to open the door and push it out. Now they not only wasted my time but my friend's time and everyone else's who I had previously assured the car would be delivered with an exhaust!  

If you are in Kenosha and need muffler work done.. don't go to Dave's Muffler. Ever since the owner died the place sucks. Dave would've never let that happen. Ever. 

DynoMax Ultra Flo 2.25

Stainless heater connection

Lokar Trans kickdown and Throttle cables

(Stock photo of what the Lokar product will look like when hooked up.)

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2019 at 7:18am
Here's the most recent update! Slowly but surely. Really happy with the project so far. I have to order a Lokar Throttle Linkage next, mufflers, a new battery... to put on the brand spanking new battery tray that I received from Kennedy American last week... a new windshield, 15 inch trim rings for the Barcelona wheels and new rear leaf springs.

Driver's side

Pass. side

Engine bay

Exhaust manifold fitment

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2019 at 7:05am
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

That looks beautiful. 

Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

Awsome Job Thumbs Up
I love itBig smile

Thank you very much! 
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2019 at 11:15am
Awsome Job Thumbs Up
I love itBig smile
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:34am
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

Just beautiful. Is your exhaust system going to be on the quiet side?

I think so but I'm not sure what mufflers I'm going with yet. I like the Magnaflow on my TBI 350 Caprice a lot. It sounds nice under throttle but it's mellow at idle.

I'm thinking about doing turn downs after the mufflers as well but that might only be temporary. The big problem I'm having is finding an exhaust shop that will bend an exhaust system and not force me to put catalytic converters back on the car. 
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:15am
That looks beautiful. 
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:12am
Just beautiful. Is your exhaust system going to be on the quiet side?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
  Share Topic