TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cheap lowering springs for trunnions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 7:26pm
No worries. 

The springs are actually working even better now. I overclamped the new Addco front anti roll bar on installation which caused it to bind in compression. It's nice and smooth.

Regards 

Don
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 7:41pm
Please post a picture of the way your AMX sits with the shorter springs. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
RedReaper View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedReaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2021 at 2:18am
First of all, I apologize for bringing this 2-year-old thread back from the dead, but it's a specific enough topic that I didn't think it made sense to start a new one.

I was already doing research into these springs because I just bought a set for my Chevelle, and thought there might be something similar that would fit AMCs. I'm pleased to see that DAMX has already done the legwork on this.

However, I had already done some initial calculation, and I came up with some very different numbers.

DAMX, can you elaborate on where you got your numbers? You already installed the springs and they did what you expected, so I must have done something wrong.

I started out looking at the last post in this thread, where the stock spring rates are listed: https://theamcforum.com/forum/69-jav-coil-springs-v8_topic101575

If I'm reading the table correctly, for a HD non-AC spring, it lists 115 lb/in rate, with a front weight of 975lb, and a spring installed height of 9.84". With 487.5lb on each spring, that would mean the free length of the spring is 14.1"

Now, looking at the circle track springs, a 200lb/in spring with 487.5lb on it should compress 2.4". If its free length is 13", that gives me an installed height of 10.6", which is 0.8" higher than the stock spring.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
RedReaper View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedReaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2021 at 6:01pm
It's amazing how much it helps to sleep on it and think about it in the back of your mind for an extra day.

My mistake was that the 975lb figure was the corner weight, not the front end weight. These cars are light, but they aren't that light!

That makes the original HD spring 18.3" long, and the 13" circle track springs line up with DAMX's original figures.
150lb/in: 6.50" installed, 3.34" drop
175lb/in: 7.43" installed, 2.41" drop
200lb/in: 8.13" installed, 1.72" drop
225lb/in: 8.67" installed, 1.17" drop
250lb/in: 9.10" installed, 0.74" drop

I'm thinking of going with the 200lb/in springs, but I need to measure my car to see how much drop would make the lower control arm level with the ground. I think it would be around 1.5-2 inches, but that is just from eyeballing it.

There are 11" springs that are also widely available, if someone wants a really stiff spring, but they're short enough that you'd need to limit travel to make sure they don't fall out under decompression.
250lb/in: 7.10" installed, 2.74" drop
275lb/in: 7.45" installed, 2.38" drop
300lb/in: 7.75" installed, 2.09" drop
325lb/in: 8.00" installed, 1.84" drop
350lb/in: 8.21" installed, 1.63" drop

I'm going to stick with the 13" springs, especially because I'm not building a car for competition.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 7:09am
Not sure what year car you're working on, but note that when the suspension design changed to all ball joints in 1970 that spring rates changed.

The trunnion springs are DIRECTLY over the upper pivot -- the steering knuckle attaches inside the upper trunnion. When they went to ball joints the spring pivot had to move about 3" inboard, which meant stiffer springs due to 3" less leverage. Doesn't affect rear springs, of course, so the 69 figures should be close (if not the same) to the 70 models of similar size and weight. AMC stopped publishing spring rates in the TSM after 1969 -- mechanics don't really need that info to work on cars, I really don't know why they published it in the first place. Parts book, yes, but not TSM. Still, I'm glad they did -- comes in handy when modifying a car!
Frank Swygert
RedReaper View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedReaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 5:24pm
Yeah, mine's a '68 Javelin.

Like you said, these numbers are just for the trunnion cars. Since the spring on the later models attaches partway up the UCA, it would have some motion ratio other than 1:1. Makes it easier to go to coilovers, though!

I'd love to upgrade to the Dairyland setup and ditch the trunnions, but that will have to come later when I don't have as many other projects going on. So, circle track springs for now, and leave the rest alone.
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 3:33pm
Hello Red Reaper,

If you put in the 200lb/in springs you will want to check how much travel you have before the bump stop engages. You may need to trim the bump stop some for a smooth ride. Could you report back on this? Thanks!

Regards 

Dono

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 6:35am
Everyone wants to ditch the trunnions, I hear that all the time!

There is nothing wrong with trunnions. The rubber isolated type as used in the 64-69 American/Javelin/AMX are the most talked about, but those were used in Trans-Am racing early on, as well as baby NASCAR in 68-69. They handle well as long as they are in good condition -- mostly meaning not 40+ years old. Everything, even ball joints, wear out and deteriorate with age! The rubber (actually a neoprene blend, not really rubber) bushing inside the small car trunnion eventually wears. Replacing it with a polyurethane insert changes the way the insert works slightly, but is a huge upgrade. It costs more to replace the suspension with something else than to rebuild the trunnion with a poly bushing in the upright. It's not modern, but it works great.

The ONLY drawback to the AMC trunnion suspension (any of the three designs) is that you can't get much additional caster. If you go over 2-3 degrees caster the upright (steering knuckle) can bind. There is some caster built into the front suspension, but not much. These cars handle best at zero caster. I've run mine at zero and at the max of three degrees -- it tracks best at zero, adding the three degrees didn't seem to help any. Caster helps with tracking straight and returning to straight after turning, doesn't help turning itself. Again, the three degrees didn't seem to make a noticeable difference, and overall handling seems to be better at the factory zero degree cater specification.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 11:52pm
The "caster caster caster" thing is a red herring. Caster is regarded as the way to get self-centering steering. But it's not the only way, and not what AMC used to get it. Another way, the AMC way, is to offset the center of the tire patch outside the virtual kingpin line. 

Stock AMC cars do not lack steering self-centering. There's plenty built in, at least for stock-width tires. WIth wide wheels and tires, the way to continue the "AMC way" is to carefully choose wheel offset.

There is no technical reason to ditch the trunnion.

The major reason I see for ditching the trunnion suspensions was for body styling. All of AMCs trunnion cars have the spring directly over the steering knuckle. There are many solid advantages for this, including very serious anti-roll -- AMCs understeer like all of their peers' cars did, but a lot of it is in the rear suspension. Spring-over-knuckle doesn't have a geometry change that gives the control arm increased mechanical advantage when compressed.

Moving the spring inboard allowed for a *shorter spring* and hence lower fenders. 

Compare a 1963 American with a 1964 Mustang. The AMerican's spring is 20 inches tall! like 14" compressed under load. It's crazy tall. THAT is why AMC moved the spring inboard. Moving it inboard degrades handling.

(Moving the spring inboard allows for a shorter, stiffer spring as the upper arm has leverage over the spring.)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 6:27am
I'm going to disagree with you on the moving the spring inboard improves handling. A shorter spring... well, yes -- only because it's stiffer. The further inboard the spring the LESS leverage the tire has on it as the lever arm is shorter. As noted, directly over the steering point more anti-roll -- due partially to more leverage.  A 69 and 70 Javelin are virtually the same car, and the suspension geometry is virtually the same, except for the ball joint and required spring placement. The 70 spring is much stiffer than the 69 even though the dimensions of the spring are close to the same. Some companies have condensed part numbers and list the springs as interchangeable, but anyone who has put a 70 spring in a 68 or 69 has noted that the front end sits up much higher and the ride is harsh.

A tall spring allows more travel, and with rural road conditions of the late 40s/early 50s a lot of travel was needed. As we entered the 60s roads in most areas improved and the need for lots of travel on a street car diminished. Car hood and roof lines also got lower, which demanded lower mounted and therefore shorter (if you were going to keep them above the upper arm) springs.

I installed stiffer springs on the front of my 63 American (12% over stock) and handling improved dramatically. I also installed a roll bar, but it was hardly noticeable, whereas the stiffer springs were immediately apparent. I believe I hit a good compromise between ride and handling with 12% stiffer springs. You can just start to feel the harder ride, but it's not too hard even on rough roads. Noticeably harder on rough roads and every time you hit a pot hole for sure, but not overly so. Factory HD springs were 18-20% stiffer and definitely ride very hard -- like an old HD pickup -- too hard. I was afraid 10% wouldn't be enough, but 15% might be too much, so went for the middle and won.

Edited by farna - Jun/23/2021 at 6:32am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic