TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Contour Electric Fan Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contour Electric Fan Install
    Posted: Apr/11/2023 at 6:38am
It would be better if there was a short delay between the fans kicking on -- less "shock" to the electrical system, but an 80A draw for a second (or less) in reality won't hurt a thing. The starter draws a lot more, though it's not turning on and off very often. Just being overly cautious with a delay, I guess. As long as the fans have separate power relays I really don't see an issue.
Frank Swygert
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2023 at 10:36pm
NorCalAMX, Thanks, and its working great so far.  That's a March serpentine system.

farna, both my fans kick on and off at the same time, and always operate at the same speed.  When they start they're at 60% and the a/c (when I get it) will start them at 60% until heat makes them run faster.  My in dash temp gauge reads a steady 180*.
Bill O.
70 AMX
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2023 at 5:31pm
Looks like that in front of my 4.0L too! I let the engine get up to 185-190 then turned the pot on mine until the first fan came on, then about 1/4 turn more. Watched the gauge while it was idling to see where it cut off and came on again. Once I was satisfied with that (coming on right at 190) I adjusted the second fan to come on about 195, and made sure it was coming on at least 30 seconds after the first. I'm running two simple adjustable thermostats. Most two fan controllers that aren't adjustable have a built-in 10 or 15 degree interval between fan 1 and fan 2. Fan 1 should also come on and run whenever the AC is running regardless of temp. Need air across the condensor when AC is running. Won't affect cooling at speed as the fan will be turning but really won't have any load on it -- not much electricity used then either.
Frank Swygert
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2023 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by troutwilly troutwilly wrote:

Success.  Not enough coolant in system after first fill.  Topped it off and ran it again.  The Derale PWM says its initially set to 180*, but that let the engine get way too hot.  Instructions say to turn the pot counter clockwise 2 turns each time, but I lost count until the fans finally came on.  Could actually adjust fans to bring it down below 180* on the dash gauge so I know these fans are up to the task.  Couple more test runs this week and should be back on the road.  Here's the setup installed, very tight.

Trout,
Your install looks great!
Is that the CVF racing serpentine system?

Edited by NorCalAMX - Apr/10/2023 at 6:01pm
1968 AMX 390 4Speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2023 at 8:26am
On my 45.0L I have each fan on a separate adjustable thermostat. Instead of having the probes in the radiator outlet hose I have them pushed into the core near the radiator outlet. Work very well there. I have one adjusted to come on ~190, the other ~200. Of course the first comes on and stays on when AC is running -- it's connected to the factory fan wiring. RENIX systems had a sensor in the radiator for the electric fan, not computer controlled. I use an adjustable in place of the factory for fan #1.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 9:57pm
Success.  Not enough coolant in system after first fill.  Topped it off and ran it again.  The Derale PWM says its initially set to 180*, but that let the engine get way too hot.  Instructions say to turn the pot counter clockwise 2 turns each time, but I lost count until the fans finally came on.  Could actually adjust fans to bring it down below 180* on the dash gauge so I know these fans are up to the task.  Couple more test runs this week and should be back on the road.  Here's the setup installed, very tight.

Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 11:36pm
I can't believe its been a whole month on this so far.  Here's the Contour unit on the new Champion radiator.  Shroud was bowing out just above upper fan so I added a small aluminum angle to hold it down.  2 connectors, one for power, one for temp sensor.

I got it installed and checked out the PWM function for 60% with A/C on and it worked fine (Derale PWM), but first start, engine got hot and no fan action.  Need to check things out tomorrow.

Edited by troutwilly - Mar/26/2023 at 11:41pm
Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2023 at 9:24pm
Great, upside down it is.
Thanks.
Bill O.
70 AMX
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2023 at 8:58pm
It won’t matter if they’re upside down. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2023 at 8:47pm
skymit, good to hear as I'm committed to that one now.
Mopar_guy: I saw that one but got lost in the instructions.  After reading again its straight forward and simple.  Might have been a better choice.

Now I have a question.  Has anyone tried mounting the Contour unit upside down, or does anyone think there would be a problem in doing so?  I started preparing for wiring and the connector on the driver side fan hits my power steering pulley.  If I mount the unit upside down, the power connectors are angled upward and clear all pulleys.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic