TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flywheel for 401 in 69 AMX with BW 4 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryw42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel for 401 in 69 AMX with BW 4 speed
    Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 3:06pm
I am putting a 70's 401 in my 69 AMX (trashed 390)  that has a factory 4 speed. The flywheel does not fit. Will an aftermarket one make for a Jeep 401 conversion work?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 3:26pm
All the information you need to know:
Unless you have the 401's flex plate to match balance a flywheel to, your going to have to balance the the complete 401 rotating assembly.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

All the information you need to know:
Unless you have the 401's flex plate to match balance a flywheel to, your going to have to balance the the complete 401 rotating assembly.
Flywheel
  • 1972-1979 AMC 401 V8
  • Ring Gear: 13.875 in.
  • Externally Balanced
  • 164-Tooth
  • View Details
    $95.99

jerryw42 View Drop Down
    AMC Fan
    AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryw42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 9:52am
    Thanks to both of you for the replies. I have contacted the machine shop I use and arranged to have the engine balanced. It is apart for a rebuild so it is not a major problem. I had seen the one on Jeg's and wondered if it would work. I will give it a try and let you know the results. Thanks again.
    SC397 View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 12:17pm
    It works for the 1972 and latter 401's. I have bought a few of them.
    jerryw42 View Drop Down
    AMC Fan
    AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryw42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 1:10pm
    I did some checking and the head casting seems to indicate it is a 74 model 401. The block is at the machine shop so I can't check it at this time. The crank flange is not flat like the 390 so I am pretty confident it is the later model and the flywheel should work. Once again, thanks to all that have responded. 
    amxron View Drop Down
    AMC Nut
    AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 8:28pm
    Get a blowproof if you have to buy a new flywheel.

Ron.
    AMXron
    Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
    Orbit AMC/Jeep
    50-1787
    jerryw42 View Drop Down
    AMC Fan
    AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryw42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2021 at 9:48am
    I ordered the one recommended by SC397 from Jeg's. This is a stock build with no added hi-performance parts so it shouldn't be doing much time at high rpm's. Once it is running I will post a summary of how it worked out. 
    turdferguson View Drop Down
    Supporter of TheAMCForum
    Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turdferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 4:27pm
    The pic below is a Jegs flywheel. You can see the drilled holes where I had it match balanced to the flexplate that came on my 401. None of those were there out of the box. 

Trader View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 4:46pm
    It looks like your engine was internally balanced, just remove the weight and it would have been very close. Expensive to do, but nice to have.
    By the look of it, if you want a billet neutral balance flywheel for racing in the future, it would likely not be a problem.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic