TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Floor Pans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tchara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2022 at 7:56pm
Thanks for asking!
Sorry I haven't posted for awhile, but was weighing my options with the limited budget I have.
I heeded everyone's advice, and purchased an Everlast Cyclone 140 E. It was on sale for 379.00, and comes with a 5 year warranty. It is gas or gas less, and is capable of using .023 wire.
It also has auto settings to get in the ball park, and can be fine tuned to the specific needs. The few You Tube videos I viewed had very good reviews. Matters of a fact, it was delivered to today. I also got a gas tank from Amazon, and tomorrow I'm going to get it filled, and start practicing with it.

I have one rust area already cut out, and made templates from card board to fabricate the new sheet metal.
I'll post again, when I get the first patch welded, and let you all critique my work.

1977 Pacer Wagon
2014 Ford Fiesta
2002 Ford F150
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2022 at 7:16pm
Coooolll!!!!!! I look forward to seeing how you did and maybe giving you some tips I've earned through my own work, like if cardboard for templates is difficult try using hard thick paper from a art store, it's a cleaner template and usually needs less swipes with the razor knife. 
Tchara View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tchara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 8:55pm
Hi all
Patched my first rust hole today in the inner fender.

I found some 18 gauge sheet metal at the junk yard to practice welding. 18 gauge sheet metal has been difficult to find in my area. I can get 16 and 22 anywhere, but the only 18 gauge I have found is on amazon, and it's to small to fix the larger floor pan damage. Some one told me that washers, dryers and water heaters all use 18 gauge metal. Is this true? Any way...I cut a small piece from my scrape and tried my first patch. It was in a spo that was difficult to get to, and being blind as a bat doesn't help. I finally got the welding helmet tuned in to where I can see the weld area.

It's been an exciting new adventure. So as you critique my welding skills, please be gentle.....LOL

1977 Pacer Wagon
2014 Ford Fiesta
2002 Ford F150
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 9:53pm
Your welds are too cold.  Try increasing heat and slower wire speed.  Do short tacks spacing them around the patch.  Then go back to where you started tack again and keep moving.  Make sure the metal is surgically clean for good welds.
Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 11:06pm
Surgically clean, that can be achieved by using rubbing alcohol, that works fine and evaporates quick, now, seeing what your weld looks like, yes, turn up the heat(volt dial on the welder) this will help the metal weld melt the two pieces of metal together, why your weld looks like it does is because the weld is sitting on top of the other metal, and is not melting very much with the other metal. Don't be afraid to use 16 gage sheet metal, it won't really matter much, it's not like the extra weight will slow down your car a whole lot eh?! But good job so far, you make any new progress since April? 
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 1:51pm
I would say to just use a flat piece of metal on a bench and weld lots of beads, get used to welding a bead. Then cut several small pieces and weld them together on a bench and progress to welding them together with a slight gap in them. When you can do that try welding on the car,
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 4:31pm
Yikes, you definitely need to practice welding before going further.  Watch some videos on youtube.  The metal does not need to be surgically clean; it is not in a car factory as it's coated with stamping oil, but cleaner the better. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 6:40pm
How's the progress going? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic