TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flasher unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flasher unit
    Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 5:36pm
Flasher unit on my 62 Ambo. Can the usual round flashing unit be used or do I need to get this type that is already in the car.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2021 at 3:56pm
I know nothing about a '62 Ambo but if I am correct in assuming the lower device with the two connections is your TS flasher, I have never seen one like that.  It looks like you have spade connections so I'd just get a more common cylindrical flasher and try it.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
WeatherEye View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2021 at 4:54pm
Yes it is a strange set up. The car doesn't even have a fuse panel. I'm going to pick up a normal flasher and see what it does.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2021 at 11:29am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2021 at 11:32am
The original flasher is the rectangle shaped one. Hooked up the the usual type and no signals although it clicks regardless of the turn signal position. Wiring and switch under the steering wheel looks ok. I'm at a loss.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2021 at 5:33pm
After tying the new flasher unit, the signals are still acting up. In the neutral position, both rear signals flash. Put lever down for a left turn makes the right rear flash, lever up for a right turn makes the left rear flash. Front signals don't flash at all. The signals worked fine until one day they started going wonky. Checked the turn signal cam switch in the steering column and it looks fine.
I had a aftermarket hazard switch hooked up and that worked so the front bulbs are ok. I since disconnected the hazard lights to see if that was causing it but still no signals.
Don't know where else to check. Any ideas out there?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2021 at 8:25pm
Since the lights are flashing, it would seem the flasher itself is working.  Based on your description it sounds like your turn signal switch has failed.  If you would want to prove this to yourself, make up a jumper and put it in place of the flasher.  I would bet everything you are seeing still exists except that nothing flashes, all the lights are on steady.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 12:40am
It's a regular type flasher in a rectangular case. Yeah, there's no fuse panel. Next to the flasher is  a circuit breaker for "most" loads. My 60 American is similar. I've got a round one dangling under there now.

The signals worked fine until one day they started going wonky.

Literally no-thing was done? Not a bulb change or slam of the hood?

It does sound like the wires between switch and harness are plugged together wrong, or a weird mechanical failure of the switch.

These early switches are far better built than the later Saginaw or GM switches which are made from crap plastic, at least the early Americans. I had a 62 Ambo but it was so long ago I can't remember squat about it.

Do you have a Technical Service Manual? They're pretty cheap for 1962. Get a REAL one, not a reproduction. The originals have great photographs and drawings, and fold-out schematics. I hear nothign but complaints about the repros.

Abebooks and eBay has 'em.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 9:15am
Yes I have a 62 service manual but does not go into detail about the signal switch other than the diagram. Being a square shaped flasher tucked up under kind of fooled me into thinking it had some other type of special flasher. One day I hit the steering wheel by accident and that is when the signals started acting up. The flasher constantly clicks causing the two rear signals to flash at the same time. Signaling for a left turn flashes the right rear and signaling for a right flashes the left rear. The front signals do not flash. I installed a new flasher and it does the same thing so I'm thinking the switch under the steering wheel is bad.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 11:38am
I would guess there is something wrong with the switch. Are they available and who would have them.

Edited by WeatherEye - Oct/17/2021 at 11:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic