TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fender Extentions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoshotjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fender Extentions
    Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 5:05pm
Hi fellow AMC members, I have a quick question about the early 68-70 front fender extentions, do they get a seam sealer between the gap, and does this continue with the rear quarter extensions. I thought they do? I was just wondering before I repaint the car. I did it on my 68 AMX 32 years ago, was I right back then?
 Thanks
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 6:26pm
Yes
Mike
twoshotjohnny View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoshotjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 8:13pm
Thanks Mike much appreciated.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 5:09pm
The seam sealer does not carry to the color side of the fender or quarter panel on a 70.
I assume the 68 and 69 are similar although they are not the same parts.
There is a definite parting line visible on the color side.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
twoshotjohnny View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoshotjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the information on this I was not sure how visible the seam sealer was suppose to be and how the gap was to look. hoping to get the car into body shop by May, everyone is backed up, I've been waiting since November. hoping to get it back by Oct.

thanks

amxroc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2023 at 11:53am
I'm sure you already know this but '68/'69 and '70 use different fender and quarter extensions. The biggest difference is the rear quarter extensions on the '70 were plastic. 
I've taken apart original unmolested cars that had nothing between the metal and the extensions, and I've had others that had what some people would call seam sealer but I would refer to as DumDum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic