TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory starter that clears long-tube headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Aren't headers a joy on a street vehicle
"joy" is not the word I would use. The adjective I would use would be filtered out by the Forum software. Shocked

I second that.. i attempted to put hooker headers on my amx,  after 2 days of trying everything, they just would not go on, even with the engine partially out of the car.. I then got hedman headers and went thru the same thing but i found they would go in with the engine at just the right angle.. then on the test drive i smashed the headers on the first speed bump.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 3:21pm
With the 1 5/8 tube headers you should be able to get the passenger side out easily if you unbolt the starter.  You can't put the starter in with the header in place, and you can't put the header on with the starter in place.  You put the front bolt on the header and let it dangle.  Then put the starter up and bolt it on.  Then put the header up.  Reverse to remove.  On my JR headers, worst ever for quality, they had to be removed several times to grind stuff for clearance to bolts and spark plugs but they came off without removing the starter.  My Hooker 1 5/8 have to loosen the starter to get the header out.  I have run the big 1 7/8 tube headers with stock starter on an AMX and it is tighter but the process is the same.  Small body cars are different.  They are a nightmare to get in place.  Quit whining.  Watch the video where the guy got 37HP to the wheels on a 304 and then think about how much more a 360 or 401 needs to flow.  

Alberta68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 4:06pm
On my 68 with 1 7/8 hookers I found getting the car way up off the ground and installing or uninstalling from the bottom works best. Only needed a few good taps on one tube on the pass side to make it work, and alot of patience/ swearing. I am running a wrapped  mini starter though as it makes life so much easier.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 5:18pm
Easiest wiring solution with a mini starter is to leave the factory solenoid on the fender and just put a jumper wire from the main power connector on the starter across to the solenoid terminal on the starter, when the starter gets power from the solenoid on the fender it also energizes the solenoid. The fender mounted solenoid tends to be a main power distribution point for the car, so easier to leave it in place.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 9:04pm
I've used 1-5/8 and 1-7/8 long tube headers on 68-70 AMXs with factory starters.  There was no other starter choice at the time.  And the starter will come out if you unbolt the header and move it aside and then remove the starter.  You have to do both at the same time.  And it is amazing how heavy these starters are!!!!

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 11:30pm
in my rambler I used a ford starter with the terminal that sick out the back of the starter from a six cyl car like a Fairmont because the stud was hitting the header
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 10:00am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

in my rambler I used a ford starter with the terminal that sick out the back of the starter from a six cyl car like a Fairmont because the stud was hitting the header

you can also ask for a starter for a Jeep. that terminal also comes out the back end of the starter.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

you can also ask for a starter for a Jeep. that terminal also comes out the back end of the starter.

As per my Jeep Starters inside and out thread... the 17006 is the best to work with, better flexplate and almost as powerful as aftermarket power master.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 4:21pm
I have removed and installed the passenger side Doug Thortly headers many times. Starter problems, leaking frost plug where the starter is and damage to the headers due to having it shipped.

You need to have someone help you.  Starter and header need to be installed at the same time.  You install the header but keep the tail end hanging down.  Then you slide the (factory) starter in place at the same time some is lifting the header end from above.  Sound like a chore and it is, but once you get the started bolted in place you can take your time to make sure the header gasket is sealed and placed correctly.  I always install the gasket on the block with permax copper.  Use some blank flanges to bolt the gaskets down.  The next day I remove the blank flanges put copper permax on the header flange and the gasket on the block.
Always worked for me.
Steve
orignal owner 1971 Javelin AMX
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 9:03pm
The things we do for headers! I personally love mine.i used the flywheel and factory mini starter from a 90 jeep wrangler. Had the flywheel match balanced to my stock flywheel. Works great and starter removal is a snap. Also this works for me so, I use a graphite type gasket and use a sealant for gluing gaskets on wood stove doors. No leaks so far. About 3 years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic