TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory starter that clears long-tube headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory starter that clears long-tube headers
    Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 11:01am
My 72 Javelin came with headers already installed. They are long-tube headers but I don't know what brand. In preparation for swapping the engine, I removed them, and I almost couldn't get the passenger side one out because of interference with the starter. I would like to keep headers but I don't know how the heck the previous owner or whoever got the header and starter in there and I don't want to have to do it. Looks like there are a few options for mini starters out there but they are expensive and if I need to replace it I can't just go to the auto parts store and get one.

Are there any factory options for a starter that is small enough to comfortably clear the headers? The 89 Grand Wagoneer engine I'm installing came with a starter that looks smaller but I don't have it nearby to measure it. I think it's different because when Chrysler bought Jeep they got rid of the extremely Ford looking ignition solenoid which probably necessitated a starter change. I wonder if anyone has swapped over to a Chrysler starter relay to use one of the later GW starters if it is actually smaller.
1972 AMC Javelin SST
1973 AMC Ambassador 401
1975 AMC Pacer D/L
1976 AMC Pacer X
1976 AMC Matador sedan
1978 AMC Pacer V8 coupe
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 11:21am
Cant swap the later small starter without the correct flywheel or flex plate
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 11:49am
Ruh roh. Looks like I have no choice but to use the type of starter that came with the 89 GW engine if it matches the flex plate cause I ain't changing that flex plate! 

Well, it might make it easier to install headers but now I have to figure out how to wire up a different type of starter. The starter has a solenoid on it so I will probably have to eliminate the Ford starter solenoid. Anybody else done this? This plus eliminating the external voltage regulator when I switch to an internally regulated GM 3-wire alternator should clean it up some under the hood. 

Or maybe I could remove the solenoid that's on the starter and keep the Ford solenoid. That would create even more clearance for the headers, plus it gives access under the hood to crank the engine easily.

I'm glad I asked this question before I stuck in the wrong type of starter and ground the teeth off my flex plate! 
1972 AMC Javelin SST
1973 AMC Ambassador 401
1975 AMC Pacer D/L
1976 AMC Pacer X
1976 AMC Matador sedan
1978 AMC Pacer V8 coupe
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 12:18pm
Did you lift up the engine a little when removing the headers?  Or try and remove the starter without dropping the headers?  You may want to practice putting the headers and starter in before everything is shiny and new.  You may figure out that by unbolting the engine mounts and raising the engine 2" that it goes easier.  Or not.....

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 12:37pm
Yeah, I completely unbolted the header from the engine but I did not raise the engine any. That would probably have helped.
1972 AMC Javelin SST
1973 AMC Ambassador 401
1975 AMC Pacer D/L
1976 AMC Pacer X
1976 AMC Matador sedan
1978 AMC Pacer V8 coupe
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 12:44pm
I had long tube headers in a 69 Javelin. This was back in 1981, so the memory is a little hazy. They were probably 1 5/8" tubes. The starter was factory and I definitely did not lift the engine to install them.

I probably removed the starter, or loosened it enough to be able too push it out of the way. Installed the header loosely, then re-installed the starter before tightening up the header.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 1:00pm
I had the header and starter completely loose and dangling and even then the starter didn't want to come out. I had to force it past an interference with the header and then they both kind of popped out and fell on the floor.

1972 AMC Javelin SST
1973 AMC Ambassador 401
1975 AMC Pacer D/L
1976 AMC Pacer X
1976 AMC Matador sedan
1978 AMC Pacer V8 coupe
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 1:04pm
Aren't headers a joy on a street vehicle
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 2:00pm
Yes, I run the 89 Starter on my motor, with 1 7/8 Hooker Super Comp headers and a Caton deep sump oil pan with an external oil pick up on the pass side.
I can remove the starter with everything installed , but it is tight. 
Yes I did modify the flywheel to accommodate the starter, but you already have the correct one.
As for wiring , move the cable from the starter to solenoid to the battery side of solenoid .
Add an extension from the solenoid trigger wire to the solenoid on the new starter. 

73 Jav-AMX " The Black Widow"
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Aren't headers a joy on a street vehicle
"joy" is not the word I would use. The adjective I would use would be filtered out by the Forum software. Shocked
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic