TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine replacement thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 4:40pm
You may be interested in this post:
This is not rocket science and most any welding fabrication shop should be able to get something to work in short order.
Even if you get the Marlin cross member and it does not fit your car, the cross member mounts are correct. Just cut them off and have them welded in the correct location to your cross member.
The engine is out already. New motor mounts, bolt it up and sit it on the cross member and tack it in place. Remove the engine/mounts and weld it up.
The cross member mount does not look like a super complicated piece of steel. 90 degrees, notched for the cross member and 2 holes.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 5:13pm
I believe that is a classic that the engine mount change is being done on?

Edit: looking at his site, there is a 232 in one of the 63 classics, and it looks like a factory crossmember with mounts similar to what are on my engine,

Edited by mtrosclair - Jan/27/2023 at 5:29pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2023 at 5:56pm
Good afternoon everyone, I’ve been offline for a bit catching up with work and personal stuff.  I have done some things with the car and wanted to update.  I was able to source a crossmember from a 1965 Marlin that had a 232, as you can see from the pics it is in fact the same ( other than some boxing near the ends, see arrow in pic) if there was any apprehension from someone  doing this swap don’t worry.  I also got the exhaust, throttle linkage and the plates that bolt to the engine because as I suspected they are different than the ones on the engine I bought which came from a 69 American.  

Swapping the crossmember wasn’t terrible, but it was a fight, next is changing the pilot bushing, bolting the clutch assembly together and then it’ll be time for this thing to go in the car.  

Edited by mtrosclair - Feb/12/2023 at 5:58pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2023 at 6:56am
Great progress so far!
Frank Swygert
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 12:54pm
update, its in bolts up fine, dropped in easier than the 196 did. The starter, even the one for the car that the engine came from doesn’t really fit, I clearanced it a good bit and it’s in there but the shift rods graze past it so I’m not sure this is the final resolution for starting.  

Edited by mtrosclair - Feb/20/2023 at 12:57pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 1:34pm
I couldn't use the 232 starter because it interfered with gas pedal linkage. They canted the 232 starter over about 30 degrees. Neither will fit the 196 bell housing without modification as you found out.

So the 232 mounts lined up perfectly with the Marlin cross member saddles?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I couldn't use the 232 starter because it interfered with gas pedal linkage. They canted the 232 starter over about 30 degrees. Neither will fit the 196 bell housing without modification as you found out.

So the 232 mounts lined up perfectly with the Marlin cross member saddles?

100% alignment, even easier to get the bolts in the mounts that the 196 was. Not sure what I’m going to do for the throttle linkage yet, I have the Marlin linkage but the Carter rbs carb on this engine needs a rotation in the other direction. 

Edited by mtrosclair - Feb/20/2023 at 1:42pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 1:58pm
Yeah, I went from a single barrel RBS to a two barrel WCD and the throttle plates turn in opposite directions. I modified the bell cranks. Cable throttle is also an option, or use your original carb? Regardless, the throttle linkage has to be modified because the alignment to the carb is different.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 2:14pm
I thought to use the original carb but it had a different bolt spacing.  I have enough bits and pieces I think I can make a cable throttle work. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 5:39pm
Wondering if there is a mini starter that would work. Some are clockable.
Did a quick search and did not find anything for a drivers side, but someone may have done this.
It's a 232, so maybe a passenger side one that's clockable will work on the drivers side.
Just a thought!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
  Share Topic