TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine replacement thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine replacement thoughts
    Posted: Jan/07/2023 at 9:37pm
Good evening AMC amigos, if any of you are familiar with my other thread, where I was experiencing a smoking issue with my 1963 Classic, that issue came to a head today in the form of two bent pushrods with an as yet undiagnosed cause. I did a partial tear down this afternoon, and discovered some odd damage on the inside of some of the cylinders, and my assumption is, I’m looking at minimum a rebore, and some new bearings if I wanted to use this block and parts.  

So, this predicament gets me thinking, I very much enjoyed driving the car for the short period of time that it was drivable, and I’d like to get it back on the road as quickly as possible. From my reading on this website and others it seems like there are some other engines which will bolt directly in to my vehicle, which might be a better option for me going forward. 

Additionally, if I were able to find one of these engines, that was already running, it should get me back on the road quicker and allow me to enjoy my vehicle, and in the event that I do have to rebuild it later parts are more plentiful and cheaper to come by. I am referencing the 199 and 232 engine, and my understanding is they need to be from prior to 1970 to bolt up without modification.

Is this silly? Is this information correct? Anybody have a 232 they want to part with?

Thanks!
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 6:59am
Wonder what these people are asking for the 63 rebuilt 196:
May be fastest way to get back on the road, and they should be close.
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 8:05am
I’m curious, what would it take to put a 258 in there? They are extremely plentiful due to the volume of Jeeps that they came in.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Wonder what these people are asking for the 63 rebuilt 196:
May be fastest way to get back on the road, and they should be close.

They’re not close but that looks like nice work,  I’d not be opposed to a 258 but my understanding is that they were different in the mounting hole and starter location. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 8:26am
You might do a little serious digging on the differences in the 258.  It might be a viable alternative with plenty of availability
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 9:30am
Originally posted by rgsauger rgsauger wrote:

You might do a little serious digging on the differences in the 258.  It might be a viable alternative with plenty of availability

Just looking at pictures, maybe the bolt pattern is the same?

My issue is, I am not a fabricator, if I can buy off the shelf parts and bolt something together I can do that all day long. But if I’m gonna have to weld up mounts and fabricate things then I’d have to go with a known fitment. 

If this info in this thread is accurate the 258 might be a non starter. 

Edited by mtrosclair - Jan/08/2023 at 9:38am
1963 Rambler Classic 550
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 9:45am
Almost all 258s have the starter on the passenger side and this is the configuration you are likely to find. The 196 has the starter on the driver side. All the wiring in the car is oriented for this.

Switching to a 258 will mean wiring modifications. A 63 classic will have a torque tube rear end, so transmission choices are limited. Will that 258 bolt up to the 196 bell?

All of these issues can be overcome, but if your fabrication skills are limited, I think you would be better off sourcing a good 196 or rebuilding the one you have. You'll be back on the road much quicker.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 10:26am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Almost all 258s have the starter on the passenger side and this is the configuration you are likely to find. The 196 has the starter on the driver side. All the wiring in the car is oriented for this.

Switching to a 258 will mean wiring modifications. A 63 classic will have a torque tube rear end, so transmission choices are limited. Will that 258 bolt up to the 196 bell?

All of these issues can be overcome, but if your fabrication skills are limited, I think you would be better off sourcing a good 196 or rebuilding the one you have. You'll be back on the road much quicker.

Wiring I can do, welding custom mounts on the other and would be an issue.  My trans shifts nicely so I’d like to find something that’ll bolt right up in front of it.  
1963 Rambler Classic 550
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 10:54am
I don't know enough about sixes, but what about a 199 or an early 232? In some ways the 232 is a better engine than the 258 and I would think early ones would have the starter on the driver side. Both are *basically* the same as the 258 and the 199 may even bolt up to your current trans. May be worth looking into. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 10:56am
More info here:

I have a soft spot for '63 Classics.  Our family car was a '63 550 when I was growing up.  Us three kids rode coast-to-coast a couple of times in the back seat of ours back in the day.

My dad bought the 550 because he thought any extras like power steering, windows or brakes were just more stuff to go wrong.  He must have felt the same way about carpeting as it had rubber floors too.  I'm surprised it had a heater and a radio.  My mom must have had something to do with that, lol.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/08/2023 at 11:00am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic