TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkride77cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Paint
    Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 1:30pm
Does anyone know the correct paint code/shade for a 1977 304. i have seen several shades of blue and turquoise labeled AMC engine blue. I would also like to know the best way to put it in without damaging the paint. the first time I put it in, I had to do a lot of twisting and using a pry bar to get it to go in, and it really damaged the paint. 
Thanks!

Edited by junkride77cj - Jan/15/2021 at 1:35pm
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 9:17am
I would say the popular ticket is Seymour EN-66, AMC metallic blue. It may not be absolutely perfect, but its been on motors that have won Teague awards, so id run it. and it's quite popular among the rest of the AMC world. 
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 12:23pm
I second seymour. I did my engine over fall and It turned out awsome 
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 3:29pm
The proper color for 77 was non metallic turquoise. Seymour used to make it. It was EN-75. Another manufacturer KBS now sells the proper color. Look here on the Forum for a post a few days ago in the Restoration section. Ross Peterson, 401MATCOUPE, answered that same question for you

Edited by george w - Jan/21/2021 at 3:31pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
junkride77cj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkride77cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 12:43pm
thanks for the suggestions, i will look into the Seymour EN-66 and the EN-75 and get the one that looks the best. my dad rebuilt the motor and painted it ford blue because he wanted it done and over with, but i'm thinking about putting new gaskets and seals in it and going ahead and repainting it. 
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 6:34pm
EN-66 is for earlier engines. En-75 would be more correct for your year engine. I have a pint of 73-81 AMC blue paint from a company called Motor Coater. I don't recall where I got it from but the color is correct for my 74 360 and 80 258. The sku on the can is #60333.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic