TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Oil Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10secterror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Oil Issue
    Posted: May/17/2014 at 4:13am
Scratching my head on this problem.

It's a 71 401 AMX Javelin that has not been driven since 1988. I replaced the carb, played with the timing and it ran perfect. No noises at all, and oil pressure was 100 pounds cold.

Stepped on the throttle and all of a sudden oil EVERYWHERE in one second! Covered the engine bay, fenders and windshield, cleaned and traced back to a split oil filter. Cleaned up, added oil and replaced the oil filter.

Guess what it did again! Split a brand new oil filter.

Will drop the pan and replace the oil pump, assuming the it must be the bypass??? Anyone else seen an issue with too much oil pressure doing this?

Thanks.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 7:20am
No AMC ever ran 100psi oil pressure cold, let alone hot. If I'm not mistaken the oil pump is EXTERNAL on your engine. No need to drop the pan. Who knows what could have happened to that engine in the last 26 years? You could have 5 generations of mice living in there, and I hope you started the engine on a separate source of fresh clean gas and not anything that might have still been left in the tank.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 7:22am
Oil bypass valve in the oil filter adapter is stuck closed and will not regulate......100 PSI is a lot of stock filter.   There are some really high end filters that can with stand like 500 psi (Fram HP Series), I am not a fan of Fram regular filters, and i never opened a HP to see if better.  The valve is under a External Hex Plug in the adapter the filter screws onto.....inside there is a spring and plunger.  I have seen these plungers frozen in place.  If stuck in there, sometimes you can used a straight slot screw driver that has a tapered end to fit inside where the spring sits and spin the plunger and put  tension it to remove...worst case...take the adapter off the front cover disassemble.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 8:17am
since this is an engine issue, I've moved it to the engine/V8 area.
Yes, remove that aluminum hex plug, remove the spring and there's a plunger inside that hole. The plunger is hollow on the outer end and that spring fits inside the hollow. The other end is tapered and when the pressure builds up, it pushes the inner end of the plunger against spring force and opens another passage to relieve the pressure. That's what regulates the pressure. Those get stuck either due to sitting, varnishes or acids built up in the oil over time, or DIRT getting to it. It doesn't take but a piece of something about the size if a hair to make that stick. Be very careful not to scratch the surface of the hole or bore that plunger is in, remove the plunger, clean it up so it shines, and make sure the hole is clean, then put it back.
Mine runs 80 psi when it's cold to cool, then drops to about 70 or so once warmed up. That's highway driving, 2500+ RPM. At lower speeds, say in town, etc. it's closer to 25+ when hot at about 800 RPM.
If you go over 80 with stock parts, stock filter, IMO you're asking for a leak.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 3:56pm
Blocked or stuck oil pressure relief bypass valve.
Seen it happen.
You may have broken the cover like the one I knew of.
He had shimmed it for more pressure, over did it.
If you are lucky you only blew out the gasket.
If the bypass is stuck you will be replacing it anyway.

Note, we are not referring to the oil filter
bypass valve here, you can live with one
of these little deamons blocked.
Gremlin Dreams
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 8:45pm
If it's stuck and you already have a mess, just pull the plug and start it for a second or two. Watch out because it'll come out like a shotgun slug on opening day.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 1:06am
i ballooned a Fram once, pegged my oil pressure gauge at 120psi, had 80 psi at start up. This was after a mild over haul I did, I think i just cleaned and rechecked the oil relief stuff and it went away..  Still had 80 psi,  the car a week or two later busted a u joint, cracked the transmission, and some how in the process lost all the oil pressure too.  Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic