TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Engine mount holes and T.C. holes don't line up?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine mount holes and T.C. holes don't line up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 10:37pm
Here is a pic of the problem!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2021 at 2:23pm
Sent a private message, but will reiterate the contents here.

First, yes -- the "mounting plate" is the back part of the timing cover. The only purpose for that plate is to allow the engine to be bolted to the mounts. It might cover some holes in the block, but IIRC you could remove that plate and bolt the timing cover on and still run without leaking oil. Been a while since I had one apart, so I could be mistaken.

Note that the front crossmember has a "belly" to it -- a curve. If you bolt the mounts to the plate first the engine will drop further. That should make the bolt hole on the mount line up with the holes on the crossmember. At the factory the crossmembers were bolted to the engine then the engine and crossmembers lifted up into the car, so that wouldn't be an issue. Also, there is one tab that bolts to the front of the engine with a timing cover bolt that prevents the engine from sliding backwards off the front crossmember. That bolt can be removed then reinserted when the crossmember and mounts are in place. I'd bolt it all up loosely then tighten after all bolts are in place.
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 11:50am
The plate against the block appears to be bent in your picture.  The bend is to the left of the mounting hole. Compare your picture to Toms at https://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/195.6ohv/BLOCK/index.html
Some metal work might move the mounting hole over ??
Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 11:44pm
The studs on the cushions are radially placed; so at a smaller radius, the distance between the tips of the studs is smaller than the distance between the holes (slot and hole).

I suggest unbolting at least one, or both, of the cushions from the front crossmember, and attach to the engine plate. Then set the engine down on the crossmember. I suspect they'll line up then. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 3:13pm
I suspect likewise. I say that after myself many times missing the simplicity of the problem. And then you don't know to be over-joyed about the solution..., or kick yourself because you didn't see it earlier.
'63 American Hardtop
norwegianrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 4:32pm
Hi just chiming in here, On my front engine support there was several holes where i could mount the rubber cushions, have you checkedt to see if there is more ways to place those?
1961 Rambler Classic Crosscountry
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 7:47pm
And..., even if the holes still don't line up what keeps you form drilling new holes where you need them???
'63 American Hardtop
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 8:11pm
Hi everybody, I had a suggestion from farna, and I followed it and it lead to being able to mount the engine to the cross member properly..... A big thanks to all your time and suggestions and also to farna!
Here's the pic.
But yes, I was going to drill new holes if I had to, but am very very glad I didn't have to!

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/08/2021 at 8:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic