TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine died today....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

bikerfox -  So this is in a 1970 Javelin is it?
Does it have the optional Headlight Warning Buzzer?

yes and yes.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Bucks AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 8:12am
See below, this worked for me on my 1970 AMX with the Motorola alternator/voltage regulator system. The diode is added to the orange wire from the regulator, Ford system (similar) is shown in Holley instructions.

Edited by Bucks AMX - Nov/25/2021 at 8:14am
1970 AMX 390 4spd Golden Lime
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 10:19am
Thanks for the info, Buck.  I think we did that awhile ago,
but I'll check with my buddy about it.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Bucks AMX Bucks AMX wrote:

See below, this worked for me on my 1970 AMX with the Motorola alternator/voltage regulator system. The diode is added to the orange wire from the regulator, Ford system (similar) is shown in Holley instructions.

I called Holley today and they said that the diode fix only works with their MSD ignition box system.  Did this fix work for you, Buck, w/o the box?
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 5:40pm
I discussed this issue with a local auto electric guy who
seems to think that AMCs are like space aliens when com-
pared with other makes.  When I told him that I'm running
an MSD RTR dizzy and a blaster coil, he became less inter-
ested and suggested driving around with a test light to gather
information in case it happened again.  I feel like I'm at a loss
as to what to do at this point, aside from a test light.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 8:49pm
The electrical guy does not know and intermittent faults are just guesswork until you can replicate the problem.
There does look to be a path as Phat is alluding to if the headlight switch does not have the ground wire attached. Just a shot in the dark!

Bucks AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bucks AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 8:21am
Yes this worked for me and no, I do not have a box just the RTR distributor and Blaster coil. Did this in 2016 and no run on issues since.
1970 AMX 390 4spd Golden Lime
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 3:00pm
bikerfox - Electrical things are hard to remotely trouble shoot and even more difficult to write about.  One must be adept at reading the factory wiring schematic found in the TSM.  Do you have a TSM for your year car and the wiring schematic that it contains?  The Emergency Brake Warning Light was an option and has it's own stand-alone tacked-on simple harness.  It ties into a hot lead from the fuse panel, thru the bulb, to a rudimentary simple 1-wire grounding "switch" at the e-brake pedal assembly.  the tacked-on optional headlight warning buzzer is also involved in this circuit.  All these things are DC and mostly 1-wire going to ground when actuated with current flowing.  There is a single brown wire with a female bullet connector coming off of the headlight switch that is in the circuit also.
  Something is allowing a backwards current feed through most likely the good ol' Rambler Motorola Alternator Warning Light circuit, current flowing the wrong way, causing the problem you're having.
First test I might do is to disconnect all connections of both the optional E-Brake Warning light harness and the headlight Warning Buzzer, or which there are ( 3 ) Different versions that AMC issued during that period.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

The Emergency Brake Warning Light was an option and has it's own stand-alone tacked-on simple harness.  It ties into a hot lead from the fuse panel, thru the bulb, to a rudimentary simple 1-wire grounding "switch" at the e-brake pedal assembly.  the tacked-on optional headlight warning buzzer is also involved in this circuit...
Both are powered by switched power, as is the ignition circuit. If the bulb lighting drains the circuit, something is holding up the circuit.

Try measuring the switched power after you shut the engine off. A voltmeter is better, but a LED test light will work too. (an old school test light with a bulb will do the same thing as the brake warning light) I'll bet there's still voltage there.

Try it again, but disconnect the plug to your ignition box first. See if there's voltage there. That will confirm or eliminate the electronic ignition box as the culprit.

Truth be told, your auto electric guy lacks imagination IMO.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 5:21pm
Thanks for your feedback, Phat and BB.

Yes, I have a '70 TSM with the wiring diagram.  I've looked at it
a zillion times, but that doesn't mean I "get it."  I think I'm like
some who are electrically challenged.  However, I understand the
limitations of online help and appreciate your provided directions.
Another forum member who isn't too far away may come over for a day
and we'll tackle this issue together.

On another note, he suggested I check all grounds and electrical 
connections for any type of fault.  One thing I noticed (and don't know
how important it is) is that the engine to crossmember ground wire is
missing.  In place is a 2 gauge wire from the engine motor mount to the
frame. I make the assumption that either is correct and both are better.
I pulled and twisted all the butt splices and other non-factory connections
to see if I could kill the engine.  Unfortunately, the engine lived.  I even tested
by pulling it apart when the engine ran to see if I could kill it and it died as
it should have.  Just in case the relay separated slightly, I zip tied it, as a long
time ago on a different AMC the voltage regulator connector came apart and
that problem could have been averted if it was zip tied.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic