TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine died today....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine died today....
    Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 12:53am
Jane died on a fwy on ramp today, a bit scary.
Made a gentle left turn onto the ramp.  Suddenly,
the engine lost power and the alt light came on.
No noticeable electrical disconnects anywhere. 
Running an MSD RTR dizzy.  About 1/2 hr. later,
engine started up again, running roughly.   One
bizarre coincidence, perhaps, is the fact that when
the key is turned to the off position, alt light comes
on and the engine won't turn off unless the e' brake
pedal is depressed.  Thoughts?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
1BadJav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1BadJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 2:07am
Could be the module in the distributor?  The old Mallory Uni Lite distributors used to have problems with the uni lite module, where when they got hot they would quit working until they cooled down.  Friend of mine had one in his Dodge and used to carry a spare module with him because of it.
72 AMC Javelin SST - 401/727
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 3:35am
I used to have an issue on a car because unknowingly I had replace a resistor wire with a regular piece of wire. Instead of sending 9 volts to the coil I was sending over 12 volts. Some days when it was cooler I never seemed to have an issue, but when it go warmer or I ran it hard it would leave me sitting wherever for a half hour and then run again.  Once I put an aftermarket coil on the car that was rated for 12 volts constantly my problem went away. So anytime I read that the car died and then later it started and ran I always think of a coil issue. If it is the coil will be extremely hot when it happens. Good luck figuring it out.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 8:06am
You have wired the RTR as per the MSD Addendum:
If not and using the factory ignition as a the power source, you need the alternator diode to stop run on. Tried briefly to find the schematic, but someone can put it up. Got to go.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You have wired the RTR as per the MSD Addendum:
If not and using the factory ignition as a the power source, you need the alternator diode to stop run on. Tried briefly to find the schematic, but someone can put it up. Got to go.

Yes, that relay is in place, but still the engine runs on.  Still, the e' brake
pedal depress to shut off is bizarre.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 9:21am
If pressing the E' brake pedal activates a warning light in the dash, that is a clue. The light is providing a bleed path for "pent up" volts. I suspect either a module failure, or wiring fault.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

If pressing the E' brake pedal activates a warning light in the dash, that is a clue. The light is providing a bleed path for "pent up" volts. I suspect either a module failure, or wiring fault.

yes, when i depress the e' brake pedal, the dash light lights up.
the fact that the ignition switch will only effect the engine shut
off when the e' brake pedal is depressed makes me think that
there is some connection bet. the two.  i think i'm going to have
to replace that switch.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 8:40pm
AMC ignition switches are quite well made and modern relays takes little current to keep closed.
Is there any other circuit that is on that ignition start? Are all engine and chassis grounds checked and double checked?
I'm thinking an after market tachometer may be wired to "leak" enough current to keep the relay closed. Or even the alternator field circuit.  Check voltages and disconnect circuits before just replacing parts.
The engine will run on just the battery for test purposes.
A $2 diode may "fix" your issue.

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

AMC ignition switches are quite well made and modern relays takes little current to keep closed.
Is there any other circuit that is on that ignition start? Are all engine and chassis grounds checked and double checked?
I'm thinking an after market tachometer may be wired to "leak" enough current to keep the relay closed. Or even the alternator field circuit.  Check voltages and disconnect circuits before just replacing parts.
The engine will run on just the battery for test purposes.
A $2 diode may "fix" your issue.

I believe we added the $2 diode near the alt. or wherever it was supposed to be located.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 12:05am
bikerfox -  So this is in a 1970 Javelin is it?
Does it have the optional Headlight Warning Buzzer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic