TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Diaper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Diaper
    Posted: Mar/31/2022 at 8:24pm
Need to get a diaper for my AMX, I tried DRE a couple months ago with no luck.  The business had been sold/closed.  The website is active, but nobody answers the phone.  Does anyone else offer decent diaper for amcs, or should I try some sort of universal fit option?  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2022 at 10:01pm
I have never run a diaper and most of the cars I have seen didn't run one either.

It does look like Jegs and Summit have some listings and other OEMs.  Good luck.

VR,
Dave
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2022 at 5:13am
I ran into Dennis Ridgeway at Rural King the other day. He told me he sold the business to a guy in Indiana. 
I can call and ask him what the deal is with the guy if you want me to.
Honestly though I would make a belly pan. I only ran mine 1 year. I lost a couple pounds of oil pressure from the extra heat. 

Edited by Hurst390 - Apr/01/2022 at 5:15am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2022 at 10:35am
I still have 1 of the 2 i bought new.   forget what it even cost. it was suppose to be or the Indy pan with just 1 single line... 
If you want it, i'l make you a good deal....
it is a DRE btw..
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2022 at 3:41pm
This is what I used on my Spirit. Any diaper is one giant pain in the rear.

Of course my setup may be somewhat different than yours.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 9:08am
Just bringing this thread back, I'm assuming you need to run the diaper with motor mount cutouts for stock cross member/engine mounts rather than the cheaper universal one? Trying to visualize how far these come up the side of the engine. We have something coming up where all classes require an engine diaper.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 12:59pm
If you are using motor mounts and a stock cross member then you will need motor mount cutouts if you have a round tube frame and motor plates then no you don't.

They are a giant pain in the arse.

Take care and good luck.....Rob
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2023 at 9:01am
So I bought the Summit diaper mentioned previously, fit was pretty decent, but I would have expected it to be made of something relatively heat resistant since the wings need to go up between the block and the headers, not much room there. Apparently not, but once you clean up the molten mess it makes, that problem ight be resolved. I don't think I would recommend one of these unless you are running fenderwall headers.

Aluminum belly-pan might have been the better choice in hindsight, hopefully there is enough of the diaper left to pass scrutineering.  

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2023 at 11:28am
If I remember correctly the strap on the diaper had metal clip of sorts with a hole punched through. I just used the end header bolts.

I have not seen anything melted on the diaper but I am using custom headers and don't recall any problems.

Your right, a pan would be more convenient. When I finally get changed out to my Indy motor I will probably fabricate something.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 8:24am
Well it looked good initially:

But definitely had some heat resistance issues:

I guess there are more heat resistant ones out there, but the Summit one didn't like being anywhere near the headers. Tomorrow I'll have to build a belly pan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic