TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Balancing Scale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Balancing Scale
    Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 8:23pm
Can anyone recommend a good digital scale for balancing pistons and rods that won’t break the bank? Bought one from HF but it does not seem very accurate/repeatable. Thanks in Advance. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 11:34pm
I have a crappy $30 "postal scale", craptacular plastic. I bought it for shipping a bunch of small packages, but turns out it has a "grams" setting, and I'll be damned if it's at least very repeatable. Meaning I don't know if the rod I weighed was really 600 grams, or 590 or 610, but it was repeatable, meaning every time I weighed the same part it came out the same, plus/minus 1. I bet though, if I dropped a rod on it hard it might break! 

Last engine I balanced I used a real lab type balance beam. Those are moderately delicate, in the obvious way. BUt the electronic stuff costs one tenth of those. And I am surprised how usable this cheap P.O.S. is.

Then you can use it for postage later.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 8:16am
like tomj, I have a generic digital postal scale, and like he said, it appears very accurate. It has something like a 4 lb capacity. If I wanted to buy one today, I would search on Amazon. You'll still need a stand or fixture for the rod because it's not just the total weight, you want to balance the ends
68Rogue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 11:14am
I am making a fixture for rod big and small ends. Any degree of accuracy? Is going to the nearest gram, tenth or hundredth of a gram? Do most shops prefer weights in ounces or grams?
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 7:46am
Tenths of grams is best.  Grams will do.  Never ounces.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 9:10pm
I've been lucky working at bodyshops with their own paint mixing systems.
Paint mixing scales are accurate down to 1/10 of a gram.
I borrowed fixtures from a racer to weigh rod ends.
I done that with 5 engines so far,  it seems to be worth the extra work.

The local NAPA decided to quit mixing paint,  I tried to buy their scale,  but they would only sell the whole system,  that I couldn't afford.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Japa109 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japa109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 10:18pm
I found an excellent scale on Amazon for around $15 that weighs to the gram with accuracy.  I use it for piston/ rod/ pin combos.  It is simple, two buttons, rugged, easy to clean and puts sup with a shop and a kitchen environment.  

For stuff requiring tighter measure I use an Ohaus triple beam balance scale I got at auction on line from govdeals.com for $30.  It measures to .01 grams with +/- .5% accuracy.  
Japa 109
1963 American 2 dr wagon OHV-2V OD
1962 American 400 4 door OHV-2V Auto AC PS PDB
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 11:21pm
For tasks I do once a year or less, I improvise. I used small cheap V blocks, metal stock, etc to make jigs for weighing rods, etc. Take it all apart and restock the parts when done. When I find myself doing jobs over and overl, I think it out and get the/a tool.

I'm over trying to own all the tools. Everything consumes space money time and maintenance. Took me four or five years to get around to buying a saw. In the mean time I got really really good with a hacksaw. I only got the saw when I got the point I needed to make multiples.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic