TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Emergency avice for 195.6 break in asap!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency avice for 195.6 break in asap!!
    Posted: May/24/2021 at 6:25pm
Ok, I just had a 195.6 ohv six cyl rebuilt, it just came home with me last week and it's already rusting on the outside and inside, I don't have a garage to keep it inside, so it's outside, I've got the holes here and there ect taped off and the engine wrapped in blankets, then big plastic bags and then a water proof tarp ontop to keep rain off and direct sunlight off so no condensation happens in the plastic bags.
It's on a engine stand, I don't know if ANY of the peripheral components work, fuel pump, stater generator, coil distributor ect ect and think I should install the harmonic balancer and flywheel and drop it in the engine abay and put all the stuff on connect everything and fire it up if can just to break it in to save it fro rusting, what advice would you guys have to give I. My situation??
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2021 at 10:33am
The outside needs painting and the inside needs fogging oil and the engine rolled over.
Your better off with air getting to the motor and it being covered from rain. The metal needs to "breath" and come to equilibrium with outside temperatures so it does not sweat with humidity/temperature changes.
Find a used tent and wheel the engine inside that. Fogging oil in all the intake, exhaust ... and clean up/paint the block.
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2021 at 12:17am
Ok, I did paint the block and I do have it covered, and have used fogging oil In all the holes except the intake manifold, should I spray some into the intake hole where the carb attatches? I haven't done that yet as I didn't know if it would damage something....
I've also rolled the engine over a bunch while trying to torque the flywheel bolts down!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2021 at 1:10am
just make sure the oil pump is packed or repacked before you start it up. If you turned it enough, I dont know if it will stay packed enough. It may. Maybe someone else knows. I'd do it last thing before but that's me.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2021 at 12:25pm
Fogging oil in the intake is fine - even the carburetor inside and out. Cover the carburetor with an oily rag. If you seal it with a plastic wrap, any moisture under the wrap will start corroding things. Put a piece of wire mesh or screen in the exhaust to keep critters and insects out.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 7:40am
That must have cost you a pretty penny.

What kind of transmission is in that car?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 12:26pm
Hi Tomj, I will remember to pack the pump, it's on the list!

Trader, I sprayed some fogging oil in there, but the carb isn't mounted yet and the intake is taped off, And so is the exhaust manifold openings, so nothing's getting in there!

Vinny, yes it did cost a pretty penny, it cost around $4900, now I have to sort out the problem with the timing cover not allowing the engine mounts to pass into the timing cover back cover piece the engine is supposed to connect with, also, I just realized the builder wouldn't have known about not tightening down the back cover piece untill the Harmonic balancer I partially installed to keep the seal on the timing cover from distorting.... I'll have to watch and see how bad the leak is, as the builder put on the timing cover and tightened it down to the block, and then after I got it back from him I installed the balancer, he said he would install it but when I picked up the engine he handed it to me with some other things in boxes like unused gaskets from the gasket set he ordered from "best" and also old nuts and bolts he had taken off the engine during the disassembly. He said he'd install the balancer but he didn't, and also didn't mention why he didn't do it, I think he was glad the 195.6 was "out of his hair" as they used to say. But yes it was expensive.... And now I can't install it because the engine mounts won't line up with the back piece of the timing cover...??????? The slot and holes don't line up???? Also the type of transmission is a borg warner t96 three speed.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 1:31pm
Farna is the expert on the engine mounts. Mine was newer and the mounts were on the side.

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 2:46pm
So, is it the timing chain cover and the engine mount plate that goes behind the gears and timing chain (area of the red marking) they are not lining up?

Or is it the engine mount plate and the horizontal engine support plate connected with rubber mounts (blue arrows) that is not lining up?

'63 American Hardtop
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 4:29pm
No, the timing chain cover piece and the engine mount plate(red marking) that goes behind the gears are connecting properly,  but the engine mounts on the horizontal engine support plate(cross member) that has the rubber engine mounts(blue arrows) are not lining up to the engine mount plate(back piece of timing cover that attaches to block) holes for the engine mounts.
(The horizontal engine support/cross member that has the engine mounts on it maaaaaaybe are a slightly diff configuration than yours, it kinda looks like it.... What Vinny said, his mounts are on the side of the cross member, mine are right on top, looks like yours are on the side too....
 today I might make enough progress on the attempt at the install to take a pic of the problem in action so everyone can see it instead of visualizing it.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/05/2021 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic