TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric wiper conversion for the old Americans?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric wiper conversion for the old Americans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric wiper conversion for the old Americans?
    Posted: Sep/02/2021 at 12:11am
I'm finally giving up on mechanical fuel pumps, and with them, vacuum wipers. THe dual action pump in my '60 American (195.6 OHV) cost $200, between shipping and repair, and took six weeks (Arthur Gould). It's out now, replaced by a little electric Carter. I'm sure they'll make good on it, and I'll sell it and the wiper motor Peter Stathes built (that works great) but it's time for me to move on... it's not reliable enough for a daily driver.

The early Americans have the wiper motor in the passenger compartment, on a bracket on the inside firewall. Simple rods push the wiper cranks. Rotation is about 135 degrees.

Has anyone worked up a solution? The hot rod type solutions are very expensive and most only do one speed and 90 degrees. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2022 at 8:40pm
Tom,
Found your question when looking for something else.
I built electric wipers for my 62 classic.  With the American wiper motor inside the car it might be easier.
I used these parts and a motor from a Ford truck (pick a part source) some 80s Ford trucks also had multi speed modules located under the dash attached to the switch.
go to Page 154 I got a bracket, arms and pivots. Took the arm off the vacuumn mnotor and welded to the pivot.  
Wiredlike Ford truck wire diagram

Nick

nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2022 at 10:36pm
Woah! Nice! That's a heck of a find! It's a DIY wiper system. That's a huge boon.  Gonna go through that on the big screen tomorrow. Thanks for that.  

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2022 at 11:02pm
Tom,
It will look similar to this

Nick

nick
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2022 at 9:07pm
A guy in our club had the vacuum wipers converted to electric with some sort of a universal kit a couple of years ago.  It was a 1959 or 60 2-door American wagon.   I think he sold that car a couple of weeks ago but he is in touch with the buyer and I'll see if I can get a picture of the installation.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2022 at 9:35pm
Thanks Joe. And Nick!

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2022 at 10:43pm
intermitent ford wiper module looks like this:
1980-86 ford switch not stalk

nick
nick
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2022 at 12:18pm
An update.
Originally I removed the arm from the vacuum motor and welded a 3/8 inch steel locking  collar to the arm.  I used set screws.  DON"T, drill the collar and the shaft for a roll pin.  

Nick
nick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic