TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Advancust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Steering
    Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 3:31pm
Hi, has anyone tried to install an electric power steering assist unit on their Rambler? If so what brand did you use?

Thanks!
hercimer01 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hercimer01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 10:41pm
I have a 2003 Saturn Vue electric column I was going to put in my Fiero. It looks like it would work in my 69 American. 

I already just went and got a box from a 98 Grand Cherokee, a pitman arm  (69 american power steering), and electric power steering pump from a Volvo S40. It's all together but still on jackstands.

Good luck.

Edited by hercimer01 - Jul/04/2022 at 10:49pm
1966 AMC Rambler Rogue
My Build Thread
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 12:48pm
I’m considering this system for my Javelin but no experience to share. I found a few old threads here regarding eas installations but no results posted. 

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:09pm
Do you have any photos of the installation?
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:11pm
Any sharable photos?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 5:16pm
If you Google "electric power steering conversion" you will come up with several sites -- after you wade through all the kit sales sites. Here's a good one:
Not an AMC, but lots of photos and info to get you started. Check the Frankenrambler section also. I don't recall which car, but someone over there did one...
Frank Swygert
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2022 at 12:05pm
I did the conversion with EPAS on a 70 AMX and it will fit under the dash. I don't have photos to share however if you call them they should have the template for the firewall bearing support. 
Well worth the effort and makes the 70 AMX with manual steering much easier to drive. 

garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 5:04pm
Hey there, 

Did you get the Volvo electric steering pump to work? I’m looking at that system as well. 
Thanks, 
Dave 
worm611 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worm611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 6:08am
I have installed the 3rd Gen Toyota MR2 electric ps pump on cars before (non-AMC).  They are nice because they have the revivor mounted to them, and pretty space friendly.

Just though I would add my experience, you don't need the ECU if you are just going to do an On/Off pump, but it does have VSS input, it really works well but not sure it is worth the effort to retrofit.

Jeremy
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 8:12am
The only issue I see in doing it is the electrical system would need a major upgrade on the car. My Fiat 500 Sport has an 80-amp circuit breaker just for the electric steering. More of a draw than a Rambler ever produced.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic