TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Efi fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2021 at 10:30am
I agree. I’m keeping the vacuum wipers on my car, so I will have a fuel pump either way (it just may not be pumping fuel!). 

The in tank setup is a nice idea. 

I had a Holley kit in my Pontiac (new tank with their pump and sender). The gage wasn’t accurate and I had issues with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. And that tank had a baffle in it. I’m a bit nervous with no baffle in the stock tank. But maybe things improved in the last 3 years. 

I’m not sure which way to go yet. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2021 at 10:47am
On that setup I show, the sock sets right in the lowest part of the tank and is pretty long so it's positioned to run with that bend (low point) in the tank. Neither one of us has ever had an issue with fuel starvation on a hard corner like a sweeping on/off ramp. I generally don't let my tank get to much below a quarter but even at that level I've not had a problem. The reservoir can mimics what the OEM's have so the pump is always in fuel to keep it quieter and cool by the return line running into it. I'm able to keep my stock sending unit plus I put an access hole in my trunk floor so I can replace the pump without dropping the tank or even getting under the car. I can replace that pump in an autoparts store parking lot if I should ever have to. Just something to think about if you drive your car much. Wink

Oh and the pump is a popular over the counter pump so nothing special that would have to be special ordered.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2021 at 11:54am
My pump (E2000) was $20 and $10 in fuel fittings. Brackets were less than $10 from Home Depot. It is pretty much silent. I hear the whoosh of fuel through my fuel lines more than I hear my fuel pump.
79 Cherokee, 401
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2021 at 4:20pm
I bought a 57 Belair a year ago. It has a high perf 350v8 with headers and FiTech 30003 and a Aeroflow 650hp frame mounted electric fuel pump (Aeroflow AF49-1014). No issues with fuel pump....yet. The previous owner had the car for more than four years. The electric fuel pump is mounted by the door outside the frame away from the exhaust.

I have owned cars that had gas vaporization issues especially during the summer months. Problem was the inline electric fuel pump or fuel line was too close to a heat source and vapor lock occurred causing the engine to die from fuel starvation.

On my late model Silverado truck I recently replaced the in-tank fuel pump. The counter guy at the GM Dealership parts counter suggested I never allow the fuel tank to get below 1/4 tank because  the fuel pump will get hot and live a short life and stop working. He said the gasoline keeps the fuel pump from overheating.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I've been thinking one of these has to fit an AMC tank.  Would be the cleanest way to go.

Reviving an older thread, I am looking into what options are available for in tank high output EFI fuel pump for my 70 Javelin, anyone know if either of the Holley in tank kits listed on the link for 73 - 87 Jeep CJ kit would fit the stock sending unit opening on a 70 Javelin? I can modify the assembly as needed.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Mar/18/2023 at 10:10am
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 10:10pm
Hello there, 
I put this in my Spirit AMX and it works great. Yes I had to drill a hole in the tank, pretty easy. I did an access hole with door in the floor should I need to replace the pump. I also ran the LS style fuel filter with self regulated return line. I also used the PTFE fuel line so that there would be no gas smell. 
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 6:21am
 What I would like is a high performance fuel pump that has a stock fuel tank setup, the link posted by Roger 6PacBee for Holley has muscle car EFI sending unit modules that show two listings for fuel pump kits 12-307 255 LPH and 12-377 305 LPH for 73 - 86 Jeep CJ models. If the Jeeps use the same size sending unit hanger (round plate, seal and locking ring) as AMC cars then the Holly kits could be fitted to my 70 Javelin tank and possibly other AMC models of that era. I contacted a Holley tech yesterday Taylor he did some checking to find out if the sending unit is the same, Holley doesn't have the hanger specifications readily on file however if I buy a Jeep CJ kit with the help of Taylor and it can't be fitted he can help me return the kit if it's unchanged. Anyone know the fuel sending unit hanger seal plate diameter for 73 - 86 Jeep CJ's? I was just reading the specs on the Holley kit there is no need for a return fuel line, I believe all I would have to do is remove the Pro-Flow fuel rail regulator and plug the rail on the far end.

"Fuel pressure is internally regulated to 58 psi eliminating the added expense and effort of purchasing and installing an external fuel pressure regulator - no separate return line is required because this module returns excess fuel right inside the tank!"

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Mar/18/2023 at 6:47am
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 11:11am
By Jove, I think you may have found a solution.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 2:24pm
Any idea what the resistance on the fuel sending unit is?  Think our early cars are 73-0 Ohms.  Looks like a great alternative to cutting the tank if it will work.  I've got a Pro-FLow and aftermarket tank for my 69 AMX, haven't purchased a pump yet.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 4:05pm

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Mar/18/2023 at 5:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic