TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock heads # 60119

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockey Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock heads # 60119
    Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 4:39am
Summit racing site says it has 16 of the #60119  heads in stock and they will ship out today 
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 5:03am
I've done a number of these heads and do not expect to use them out of the box without taking them apart and cleaning them bare minimum. 

The new heads come in a bag with 50-100 small bb's in the bag from not getting cleaned well prior to assembly. 

I took one head apart and a lock was in two pieces

The heads are good quality and work well without doing anything to them and better with some work but really all they are is a factory head with some port work done

They are of course new aluminum with and have a thicker deck and like I said, a good quality casting. 

The more I work on the Edelbrock's the more I feel, just port a set of iron heads. For me, having the ability and machines, they are not worth the initial up front expense. 

If they were something special, I could see it but like I said, while nice, they are nothing special. 

I plan on doing a post in the near future on iron heads. I have two sets to do. One for a jeep and basically stock with a good valve job, bowl and short turn work. 

Second pair will be more like the Edelbrock heads or what I call "street ported" heads. Both sets will have full bronze guides and probably 2.02/1.625 valves 

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 5:13am
One more thing on the Edelbrock heads. 

They need a lot of port work even for a clean up and getting any kind of sizing on the exhaust. 

It takes me the better part of two days to do that much to these heads. 

Oversized guide boss on the exhaust with small holes to begin with takes a lot of time to get in there and make good shapes, while dancing around the guides trying not to hit them. Intake side is much easier to clean up

For the work involved on my end to make something out of these heads, I might as well do a set of iron heads. 

Using them out of the box is the only way they are cost effective in my opinion. 

rbjracing.com
waltl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 1:14pm
From my experience;
1. The spark plug location of the Edelbrock heads seems to be different than AMC iron. I had to do major surgery on Doug's header flange plate to get a plug socket on the plugs. Very annoying.
2. If you use factory free flow manifolds on Edelbrock heads the manifold will crush the oil dipstick tube against the head outer bottom surface. Ask me how I know.
3. Head gaskets have to be modified to unshroud the oil drain back passage in the Edelbrocks.
4. The included push rod guide plates are not great. There are plates for other engines that fit and align a bit better.
5. Edelbrock provided valve springs are Ok for their Performer series cams but likely need changed for a more aggressive or roller cam build.

On the + side;
1. they don't seem to crack
2. they are light weight
3. repeat the above (it is like throwing the A/C system away on a factory A/C car such as mine)
4. the chamber size is such that you can get near 10:1 Cr with common available pistons on 401's

would I buy them again.... yes
do I like the price.... no
am I glad that Edelbrock is making something for our engines...... well "duh"
would i let jcisworthy prep a set of my new Edelbrock heads..... hel ya!

Walt

Edited by waltl - Aug/05/2022 at 1:17pm
Walt L.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by waltl waltl wrote:

would I buy them again.... yes
do I like the price.... no
am I glad that Edelbrock is making something for our engines...... well "duh"
would i let jcisworthy prep a set of my new Edelbrock heads..... hel ya!
To add to this: 
Would I let jcisworthy port a set of iron heads for me and save $2.5K by not buying the Edelbrocks? definitely 

Edited by sweatlock - Aug/05/2022 at 1:28pm
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 3:19pm
if running the Edelbrock head  switch to a 5/8 spark plug  get to them easy with a standark plug socket and did not have to grind on the flanges of my headers  put mine on right out of the box  no problem at all 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 7:01pm
sc397 put some on my engine...i wonder what he thinks about them.???

1969 sst javelin restomod
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2022 at 8:07pm
I've gone from out of the box eddies back to home ported 291C heads on my Javelin, pretty much the same horsepower at the wheels on the dyno, little bit more for the iron heads, but different dynos and many years apart, so not quite a back to back comparison and near enough the same performance on the 1/4 mile, not far off a PB with the iron heads, but only been to the track with them once. Also changed intake from Air Gap to R4B so again not a direct comparison. Interesting that by the time I did a bit of work unshrouding the valves on the 291C's, they were out to around 54 cc, which is ball park for the eddies.

I then did some backyard port work on the eddies and put them on my Gremlin race car that was running a set of home ported 993 heads, picked up roughly 3 tenths and 3 mph in the 1/4 mile, probably a little more in it. 993's were not ported to the same extent as the 291C's, they were the first set of heads I did and I didn't really do a lot around the intake valve guide boss. Also worth mentioning that the 993's were limited by valve bounce issues at around 6300 rpm, one of the things I did with the eddies is put some dual springs on them (dual plus damper), so I can turn them to higher RPM, which is probably a big part of it.

I tend to think if you have a decent set of iron heads and have some sort of sense for getting in there with a die grinder yourself, you can save a lot of money over going to eddies, your time is free, but  depending on how far you want to go, you can still end up spending a fair bit of coin. You will as a minimum need to change the springs, retainers and locks. You might need to do the valve guides and if you are going that far, might want to consider some smaller diameter valve stems while you are at it.

My 993 were basically gasket matched and smoothed out inside, I kept the stock valves and did a backyard valve job, i.e. spun the valves with a drill and used some valve grind paste to clean up the surfaces, backcut the valves in the drill press with a flapper wheel on the grinder and that was it, good for 11.6 @ 114 mph in the Gremlin.

For the 291C's more extensive port work in the bowl around the valve guide, unshrouded the valves (this is more necessary with the 291C's than the 993's I feel), cut the valve guide bosses for positive seals, good dual springs, new retainers and locks, kept the stock valves in the end since the heads had already been fitted with K-lines and they were fine, backcut in the drill press with a file this time around.

Do I like the Eddies, damn right, weight saving alone is always a good thing on a race car. They have a more modern combustion chamber, which has to be worth something. Altered plug location is a bit of a pain, I'm running SCE copper gaskets and had to modify them significantly even with the smaller plug and had to grind on the header flange previously. If I was going again for the race application, I'd probably get them worked on first by somebody who knows what they are doing , either a KTRE CNC port job or send them to one of the guys on here for the full treatment, or maybe just step up to Indy's and all of the dramas that go with them. 

PS: The Javelin runs low 13's in the 1/4.

Edited by WesternRed - Aug/05/2022 at 8:10pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 6:11am
I hope I was not misunderstood in my earlier post. 

Edelbrock heads are a very good factory replacement product. We are fortunate to have a company offering an alternative and they work well, even out of the box untouched. 

The main point I was making is, inspect them well and take care of anything needed prior to installation because I found things that could cause problems if overlooked. 

The other point I was making is, the work needed to turn them into a high/higher performance head approaches that what is needed to do a set of iron heads less about 8-12 hours, for me anyway, having the equipment needed.  

rbjracing.com
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 10:21am
It's always good to hear your opinion John,
thank you!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic