TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock finned aluminum valve cover.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRedCornhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock finned aluminum valve cover.
    Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 9:12pm
Hello everyone,

Just looking for some opinions I've had these Edelbrock aluminum valve covers on my shelf for years. Curious as to if I should polish them myself or if the original versions of these came with a dull sand cast finish? Does anyone have any idea on how they came originally from Edelbrock, these happen to be stamped with rambler on the underside of the valve cover. Any opinions on what works best for polishing they are pretty rough. I believe the person I bought them from probably sandblasted them or at least media blasted them at one point. Let me know your thoughts and what you've known about these covers over the years interested in opinion

Edited by BigRedCornhead - Sep/14/2022 at 9:21pm
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 9:28pm
The ones I had years ago were pretty rough-textured. I didn’t like them so I got rid of them. 
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 10:08pm
Originally polished. I have a set. Trying to decide what to do with mine as their ugly
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 10:20pm
I worked at Edelbrock for 27 years (1994 to 2021). The early version (what you have with "Rambler" cast inside) only came as polished with rough "as cast" between the fins. Later on when the old tooling was upgraded they no longer said "Rambler" on the inside and could be purchased as polished or in satin black like the ones below. (Sorry I can't seem to find a picture right now of the polished version.)  

I personally like the black version. 

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
BigRedCornhead View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRedCornhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 10:24pm
Thanks Menace, so they are period correct! The casting is pretty rough even a few pits. Love to see some original shots if anyone has them.  Love to post more pics but my file size is too large. Honestly now more confused on how to polish them hahaha
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 10:39pm
First I would make sure that they actually fit correctly. There was an older new in the box set sold by a member recently that had been drilled wrong by Edelbrock. If they do fit correctly you can move forward. With the quality of powders now I would probably smooth them out a bit and have them powder coated in one of the available chromes. Trying to polish those out will not be a fun job.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2022 at 12:08am
I had a set that I polished and painted the inside of the ribs the color of my car
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2022 at 12:25am
Here is a picture of a set that I painted black between the fins before we offered them in black. 

Dennis

Edited by THE MENACE - Sep/15/2022 at 12:29am
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2022 at 4:55am
  They are pretty cool because the ribs go down the ends.  They may even look good painted engine color and just polishing the ribs.  Lots of options.
  In my opinion, if you polish them you will need to pull them off every couple of years to touch them up.  Cast aluminum doesn't hold a polish like billet parts do.  The suggestion to powder coat them chrome is pretty interesting.  And a gloss paint will be easier to keep clean than a flat, textured paint.  But they are cool!

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2022 at 6:32am
I paint a set of mine the AMC metallic blue and them sanded the fins and logo.  I've seen several folks cars done the same way.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic