TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Early v Late 360 Accessories and Flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early v Late 360 Accessories and Flywheel
    Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 9:15pm
I'm prepping a 360 to swap into my CJ. The engine I bought didn't come with any front accessories or flywheel, something I didn't think was too big a deal until another Jeep guy was over and pointed out that my engine has a three bolt balancer, which means its an older model. 
So, now I'm a little confused on what I need for my engine. I have a line on a junker '77 engine that I can get all the front accessories and fly wheel off of, but will those work on my older engine? 
I can also swap over the crank from that engine if that's an easier solution. 
I've done as much googling as I can but I can't find anything too concrete on what I need to do.
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 9:54pm
if its a 3 bolt  and the crank is flat where the flywheel go you have a pre 72 mill. if ya running a stick .. good luck finding a flywheel. after market wheels are costly..  and NO .. you can not use the balencer from the 77 (4 bolt). brackest will bold on if ya use the same water pump. but then ya have to find the pullys for the 3 bolt if ya don't have them.  there is many post on this on here.... but ya need to know what crank you have before ya go shopping ....  look in the V8 engine  thread  on the main forum page
its the little things that make the biggest difference
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 6:54am
Sent you a PM.  Just reach out and I'll help get you sorted.
John
orange150 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 7:35am
I can't quite figure out how to post pictures here. I hope these work..

Well, looks like that didn't work, but the pictures can be seen here:
https://nc4x4.com/media/img_5011-jpg.5775/
https://nc4x4.com/media/img_4667-jpg.5774/

Edited by orange150 - Dec/08/2022 at 7:39am
orange150 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 7:42am
Originally posted by hacksaw1971 hacksaw1971 wrote:

if its a 3 bolt  and the crank is flat where the flywheel go you have a pre 72 mill. if ya running a stick .. good luck finding a flywheel. after market wheels are costly..  and NO .. you can not use the balencer from the 77 (4 bolt). brackest will bold on if ya use the same water pump. but then ya have to find the pullys for the 3 bolt if ya don't have them.  there is many post on this on here.... but ya need to know what crank you have before ya go shopping ....  look in the V8 engine  thread  on the main forum page

Thanks for the info! Mine has the step, like on the right side. I'll hunt around the V8 engine thread on the main forum page. Like I said, I tried to google it but couldn't really find the answer.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 7:55am
Right.  Just because it has a 3 bolt damper it doesn't automatically mean that it has a flat crank.
The key thing to remember is that you shouldn't just throw another 360 flywheel on there without getting it balanced to the rest of the rotating assembly. If you have the original flex plate that was on the 360 originally you could have a flywheel match-balanced to that.  If you don't have the flywheel balanced it will vibrate.  it is just a matter of how much.
orange150 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 8:08am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Right.  Just because it has a 3 bolt damper it doesn't automatically mean that it has a flat crank.
The key thing to remember is that you shouldn't just throw another 360 flywheel on there without getting it balanced to the rest of the rotating assembly. If you have the original flex plate that was on the 360 originally you could have a flywheel match-balanced to that.  If you don't have the flywheel balanced it will vibrate.  it is just a matter of how much.
https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/585/amc-290-401-flywheels-flexplates - https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/585/amc-290-401-flywheels-flexplates
https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/1910/amc-290-401-vibration-dampers - https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/1910/amc-290-401-vibration-dampers

Those links helped big time! So looking at the picture of the two cranks next to each other, I have a 72+ crank with a three bolt balancer on the front.

Sooo back to my original question then of if I have all the accessories, timing cover, water pump, pullies, harmonic balancer, and flywheel off the 77 will they work on my engine? I would think I can just pull the three bolt balancer off and press the four bolt on... ? 

I have read enough to know I need to get it all match balanced. I have a lead on a machine shop for that thanks to @bbgjc :) 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 8:12am
Yes it will all bolt up but you may have to use the early water pump and you will have to use the 3-bolt bottom pulley.  I have a stack of them if you need one.
Or, Have the rotating assembly re-balanced with the 4-bolt damper and stick shift flywheel.

Edited by SC397 - Dec/08/2022 at 8:14am
orange150 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 9:41am

Yes it will all bolt up but you may have to use the early water pump and you will have to use the 3-bolt bottom pulley.  I have a stack of them if you need one.
Or, Have the rotating assembly re-balanced with the 4-bolt damper and stick shift flywheel.

If the recommended procedure is to balance the assembly anyway, why not use the 4 bolt? It seems like that is the most common and I don't want to have to hunt around for parts.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by orange150 orange150 wrote:

If the recommended procedure is to balance the assembly anyway, why not use the 4 bolt? It seems like that is the most common and I don't want to have to hunt around for parts.

That is what I would do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic