TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

E85 and Pro Flo 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E85 and Pro Flo 4
    Posted: May/25/2022 at 9:54am
I've had a couple questions about my experience running E85 and Pro Flo 4 and thought I'd post them here rather than clutter up the New EFI Intake thread: http://https://theamcforum.com/forum/new-efi-intake-manifold_topic91226.html

Let's get one thing straight. Edelbrock does not support this fuel with and makes it very clear with a note in the Fuel Requirements section of their instructions saying "E85 fuels are not compatible with any Pro-Flo 4 EFI systems." So if you go down this path and have any issues don't call Edelbrock's tech support for help. You are on your own except for support from fellow hotrodders.

That said, rumor has it that all the Pro Flow 4 components are E85 compatible. The only piece I would question is the aluminum fuel rails.

Why do this? E85 is a little cheaper per gallon than regular gas and has an octane of roughly 105. Maybe you have an older engine with 10:1 compression that knocks on premium gas. Maybe you've got an engine in the 9:1 range that "needs" a supercharger. Maybe you are building an engine from scratch and want to bump the compression up in the 11-13:1 range to pick up some power. Some of that power is from the higher compression, some of that power is because alcohol brings a little of the oxygen needed for combustion with it, and some of that power is because evaporating E85 cools the intake charge making it more dense. Sort of a liquid supercharger.

Why not do this? E85 has 30% less energy per gallon than gas. This means you have to fill up more often and typically costs more than gas per mile driven. Since it runs cooler than gas it's not a great winter fuel. By far the biggest issue is that E85 will attack parts of your fuel system made from rubber, aluminum, brass... and it pulls moisture from the air so I suspect it's pretty hard on steel tanks too.

Me? I live in the Midwest where E85 is easy to find. I'm running it in my 1982 Jeep CJ-7 and my 2021 Jeep Wrangler. Both of these are summer toys. I like the fact that ethanol is a renewable fuel. I like that the exhaust doesn't burn my eyes and nose when cruising with the top off. I'm sold!
1982 Jeep CJ-7
http://theamcforum.com/forum/basically-stock-cj7_topic106501.html
https://irate4x4.com/threads/basically-stock-cj-7-update.383765/
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 9:55am
Assuming E85 is available in your area, the biggest hurdle to running it is the fuel system. E85 attacks soft metals such as zinc, brass and aluminum as well as cork, rubber, polyurethane and some plastics. 

The interweb says your stock steel tank is OK, but E85 will dissolve all the varnish and free up crud to clog your fuel filter. I'm not so sure. The reason E85 corrodes aluminum is not due to ethanol, but rather the water it absorbs and holds in suspension. I'd think this would eat steel too.

I was lucky when I started this project as I had already installed a stainless steel tank, 3/8" stainless steel hard lines, and -6 AN Teflon lined flexible lines. My tank was set up for a GM in-tank pump that was not E85 compatible so I replaced that with an Aeromotive 027-18312 pump capable of 90 GPH (340 LPH).

So let's talk about sizing your fuel pump. Canton has a nice writeup on this here:
and they say for E85 you need .106 gallons/horsepower/hour. I was shooting for 450 HP with my 401:
450 x .106 = 47.7 GPH

I also had to add a fuel pressure regulator. I chose Aeromotive's 027-13136 Compact EFI Bypass Regulator. It's set up for -6 AN lines, handles pressures from 30-75 psi and rated for up to 1000 HP.

I was a little worried about the 3/8" hard lines and -6 AN fuel lines I had installed for my 304 on gasoline. You have to move 30% more fuel right? Plus it's a high performance 401... Then I started thinking (always dangerous!) that Edelbrock rates the Pro Flo 4 for 775 HP so using Canton's formula for gasoline:
775 x .080 = 62 GPH
Which means for normally aspirated E85 it should be good for 62 / .106 = 585 HP
And it uses -6 AN fittings so I'm pretty comfortable with my fuel lines.

I also elected to upgrade the fuel filter. Partly due to increased flow and partly due to concerns about more crud in an E85 system. I'm currently running an XRP 7106AN which is about 9" overall length and a 10 micron filter.

Some random pics prior to the above changes to spice up the thread :)

Edited by Kreep - May/25/2022 at 1:57pm
1982 Jeep CJ-7
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 9:56am
Since I was starting from scratch I could pick the compression ratio I wanted. But I'm not an expert on engines or E85. Just the opposite, I'm stumbling along trying to figure stuff out as I go. I searched the web for "E85 compression ratio" and got results ranging up to 16:1 normally aspirated and 25 lbs of boost with 12:1 compression. It's really tough to sort through all these posts and figure out what to run because nobody provides the whole picture. What altitude? How much cam overlap? Aluminum heads? Modern intake and combustion chamber design? What to do?

It's hard just to figure out what the octane of E85 is. It behaves different than gasoline, less sensitive to compression and more sensitive to sharp edges in the combustion chamber, but generally accepted to be about 105 octane. But the ethanol varies around here from 80% in the summer to 50% in the winter and that's got to change the "octane." What to do?

I feel like I'm nearly worst case; 400 ft. above sea level, iron heads that lack the tumble and quench advantages of the last 50 years, and a cam for low-mid range torque more than top end power so the dynamic compression ratio is going to be pretty high. What to do?

About this time I stumbled onto the flat tappet camshaft selection spreadsheet on this site and noticed that one of the Fuel Types was "104 Octane Optimized." So I figured this is pretty close to 105 octane and let it guide me in keeping the Dynamic Compression Ratio in check. I ended up with 11.3:1 and a DCR around 9.08.

Edited by Kreep - May/25/2022 at 3:17pm
1982 Jeep CJ-7
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 9:58am
Fuel pressure and injector sizing is the most important thing I wanted to share. It's also the most difficult to explain, but I created a cheat sheet. Here goes!

The Pro Flo 4 does not know or care what fuel you are using, it just listens to the wideband O2 sensor. The wideband O2 sensor does not know or care what fuel you are using, it just monitors how much oxygen is in your exhaust. So when you set up the system for E85, don't try to fool it with richer Air/Fuel settings for idle, cruise and acceleration. Just set those like you would using gasoline.

The Pro Flo 4 comes with a bunch of Calibration Files (Cals for short) to get you in the ballpark. Once running it will "learn" and adjust to your engine and driving style. What we are going to do is pick a Cal for your vehicle and then change the fuel pressure and possibly injectors to compensate for E85. Below you will find the list of Cals and below that the math using my engine as an example. First find the Cal that best matches the displacement and camshaft in your engine. Then use the following cheat sheet to find the fuel pressure and injectors to use:

If your Cal is for 43 psi with 29 lb injectors use either:
  73 psi with 29 lb injectors or
  50 psi with 35 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 58 psi with 29 lb injectors use:
  67 psi with 35 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 43 psi with 35 lb injectors use either:
  73 psi with 35 lb injectors or
  50 psi with 42 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 58 psi with 35 lb injectors use:
  68 psi with 42 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 43 psi with 42 lb injectors use:
  73 psi with 42 lb injectors.
  (35 psi with 60 lb injectors will probably not perform well)
If your Cal is for 58 psi with 42 lb injectors use:
  48 psi with 60 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 43 psi with 60 lb injectors use either:
  73 psi with 60 lb injectors or
  41 psi with 80 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 58 psi with 60 lb injectors use
  50 psi with 80 lb injectors.
If your Cal is for 43 psi with 80 lb injectors use:
  73 psi with 80 lb injectors.

My engine is bored and stroked to 418 cubic inches. The cam has 216 degree duration at .050 on the intake and 224 degree duration on the exhaust. Either Cal 5028 or 5029 should work. I picked 5028 as it better matched the 450 HP I was expecting.

Step 1: Adjust injector size
Volumetric Flow Rate = Mass Flow Rate x 10.5
35 lb/hr x 10.5 = 367.5 cc/min
The 35 lb/hr injectors that this Cal calls for flow 367.5 cc/min.
But I need 1.3 times that due to E85.
367.5 x 1.3 = 477.5 cc/min (this is my target max flow rate for this Cal)

So find out what the next size injector flows:
42 lb/hr x 10.5 = 441 cc/min (20% increase)

Step 2: Adjust fuel pressure
New Flow Rate = sqrt(new pressure/original pressure) x original flow rate
Solve for New Pressure
New Pressure = Original Pressure * (New Flow Rate/Original Flow Rate)^2
New Pressure = 43 * (477.5/441)^2 = 50.46 psi

So I called Edelbrock and exchanged the unused 35 lb injectors for 42 lb injectors (part #3695), set my fuel pressure to 50 psi, loaded Cal 5028, and it fired right up. No fuss, no muss. We did vary the rpm and load after it warmed up so that it could start to "learn" but honestly I think we could have gone straight to making pulls and adjusting the A/F and timing.

Edited by Kreep - May/27/2022 at 8:04am
1982 Jeep CJ-7
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 10:20am
Well that sucks about the Edelbrock support. You are doing exactly what I was planning on doing with mine on a 12.5:1 engine.  
I had high hopes of road trips running E85 when I can get it and Premium when I can't get it. I may have assumed wrong that the EFI system could learn to deal with all of the above.

Edited by SC397 - May/25/2022 at 10:31am
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 12:25pm
Kreep - thanks for posting on the topic. I’ve been broken for sometime so I’ve been stuck in extended planning if you will. 

That said, I’ve been reading and buying in preparation of building an E85 motor. E85 seemed a fit after research as my block is bored .060 over creating heat concerns despite sonic testing. I also bought a project with existing flat top pistons with -5 relief.

Here are my adds to ethanol being my choice as well.

Cooler burn: as you mentioned… I’ve read a motor will run @ 180 degrees.

Octane: 105 octane for E85, cooler weather pumps reduce ethanol content but lower temp is supposed to offset. My cars will only be driven in the summer as well.

Alcohol: as mentioned, the cooling effect from evaporation, 50 degree reduction? I’ve read it added 10% VE in a test. The end result is more btu of energy, 15 % is my takeaway, right or wrong. That’s based on 5% more btu of energy and 10% in top end VE.

Availability: I’m in Colorado and it is readily available.

The downsides…

Corrosive: e85 is supposed to have additives to protect metals, not rubber. You need fuel line that has a ptfe liner. Humidity as mentioned plays into corrosion from my understanding. The water absorbed essentially breaks the blend and it begins to separate. No humidity concerns in Colorado.

Mileage/Btu by volume: less btu in e85 so reduction in miles per tank. I’ve read this can be overcome with compression, some believe 18:1 is feasible, this may have been based on a controlled race blend of e85.

Ability to swap fuels a plus: ethanol cleans fuel residue, gasoline cleans ethanol residue. I plan to run e85 most tanks and every 4th run a tank of premium with proper octane booster.

What I’m planning…

I added a fuel sump to a spare tank with a Holley e85 pump and it’s lined with por tank sealer which states it’s good for alcohol fuels. I currently have -6an fuel lines all around, plan to upgrade the supply to -8an. Holley efi regulator and the Holley 50/10 micron filters… so I believe I’m good to the pro flo 4. I’m planning to run two -6an lines from the regulator, one to each rail. 

Leaves me with tune, injector size and timing questions. I’ll plant those in your reserved spots? New to platform so let me know if I’m misunderstanding…

I would also love to hear your impressions on sequential multiport over tbi efi if you have experienced the contrast…especially regarding e85. My question: does evaporation of fuel promote air flow more when ethanol is dispensed at throttle body impacting temps in intake more than cylinder or sprayed onto the intake valve. Spraying the intake valve seems the easy winner imo, but curious on thoughts.

Thanks for forging the e85 path of experience. I don’t expect issues with Edelbrock but it’s certainly comforting to here positive stuff first hand.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Kreep Kreep wrote:

Place holder for compression ratio discussion

I have elevation to deal with here in Colorado, about 5400ft. My build will either be 13.25:1 or 13.7:1 depending on head gasket thickness selected during assembly. That said, I’ve read of much higher compression without issue. For the street I’ve read 13:1 is max. I loose one point of compression for elevation so I’m hoping I can go 13.7:1. A cam closing intake at 41 degrees gives me an effective compression ration of 11.1. It’s my understanding that compression has decreasing return after 12.1 on the high side and less than 10.1 on the low side.

I’m hoping to be happy with the NA power. Again with altitude I only expect 6psi from a torqstorm putting me around 15.5-16:1 effective compression ratio. I’d add water meth to the torqstorm but from my research, believe e85 would be sufficient.

Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 12:44pm
Shoot, looks like I need to pause and let you finish. Huge thanks for sharing
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Well that sucks about the Edelbrock support. You are doing exactly what I was planning on doing with mine on a 12.5:1 engine.  
I had high hopes of road trips running E85 when I can get it and Premium when I can't get it. I may have assumed wrong that the EFI system could learn to deal with all of the above.

You are correct, this is not a flex fuel system, but all is not lost.

I suspect the Pro Flo 4 would do a pretty good job of adjusting once the coolant temperature hits 160 degrees and it switches to closed loop mode and corrected A/F ratio using the O2 sensor. Closed loop it can adjust fuel flow up to 30% so it is possible to have a single tune and switch fuels. Prior to that it would run in open loop mode and really flood the engine (or be really lean if Premium were your baseline).

I am confident you could come up with two tunes, one for Premium and one for E85. Then you could run the tank low before filling up and switch tunes when switching fuel. Ideally you would create each of these tunes on the dyno starting with a different base map. One advantage to this approach is you would also be switching ignition curves, I suspect you'd need to dial back the timing when running Premium at 12.5:1.

Edit:
I forgot to say that both tunes would need to use the same injectors and fuel pressure. Most likely a single Cal with injectors and fuel pressure splitting the difference between E85 and gasoline so the ECU would adjust 15% one way or the other. Message me when you get closer to doing this and I'd be glad to help figure out your baseline settings.

Edited by Kreep - May/25/2022 at 8:39pm
1982 Jeep CJ-7
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 3:50pm
Edit:
The trick below does not work. It sure seemed like it cranked easier but I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine to double check. Cranking speed was 157 RPM and the timing stayed 12-13 degrees.

Here is a neat trick to keep in mind. One issue with high compression engines is load on the starter. Some ignition systems allow you to retard the ignition while starting but the Pro Flo 4 does not. Here's the work around:

First, a little background on the Pro Flo 4 ignition settings.
  Idle Target: idle speed
  Idle Spark: ignition timing at idle
  Advance Start: RPM at which the timing starts increasing towards total advance
  Total Spark: maximum ignition timing without vacuum or boost timing applied
  Total Spark RPM: the RPM at which maximum ignition timing occurs

The trick is to set your Advance Start below your idle rpm. The software creates a straight line ignition advance curve that starts at "Advance Start", ends at "Total Spark RPM" and goes through "Idle Spark". So if your "Advance Start" is lower than your "Idle Target" the cranking timing will be lower than your "Idle Spark". Here are my current settings which gives about 6 degrees advance while cranking.
  Idle Target: 650
  Idle Spark: 12
  Advance Start: 100
  Total Spark: 35
  Total Spark RPM: 2800

Edited by Kreep - May/31/2022 at 6:27pm
1982 Jeep CJ-7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic