TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Duraspark - Second Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duraspark - Second Opinion
    Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 1:04pm
Yes I know that the general rule is if in doubt swap it, but here's the issue:

I was having strange miss issues in late winter that I partially suspected was the original module either failing or poor connections because the plastic connectors had crumbled and everything was just pins pushed into sockets so I switched it out for an SMP LX214 (DS2 Yellow grommet with 3 connectors) and changed the coil with a used but known good one because I found it was weeping oil out of the secondary output tower. Immediately took it on a 1200km road trip and had no issues.
The car was parked for most of the spring and early summer for engine work and was fine when I got it back on the road again until about a month and a half ago. I was driving home (probably unrelated but that night there was a pretty nasty thunderstorm I had gone out to photograph and I got one heck of a trophy photo of a bolt so damn close it had me ducking for cover inside the car) and the engine dropped dead when I was heading back to safety. Pulled over, started on a bump of the key and idled fine in park/neutral but twice I would put it into any gear and would instantly die. Third time I bumped the key, revved it for a few seconds and then it was okay going into gear, only to have the engine die a few minutes later while driving and before I could pull over the engine came back with no hesitation or lack of power. Classic sign of module failure, but the module wasn't overly hot.
Thought nothing about it again until in the middle of last week I caught it erratically revving. The computer is both solenoid and vacuum kicking the idle like its unhappy about something. I had it in the driveway during one of its fits as I was looking for tools to investigate further and on its own the engine again dropped dead and again, the module wasn't hot or anything and started again with a bump of the key. I've been planning to do a full sensor, harness and computer test later this week when this morning I'm driving to work and again the engine dropped dead, I pull over and it starts again no problem with a bump of the key. No problems the rest of the trip.

Those SMP modules suck and they're $80 each before shipping, hence my hesitation to buy another one when this one is not even six months old. Because this is an '82 the computer doesn't intercept the tach signal going to the coil (so we can't immediately blame the computer for the weird idling and the engine dying for no reason) but you can't just swap in a blue grommet module because the computer needs that extra connector for spark retard control, and I got a small stack of those used and 80's Echlin NOS.

Gut instinct: Change the module. Do my observations agree with that?
FleetMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FleetMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 1:50pm
You may be dead on, but sharing a different cause with very similar symptoms.  Vehicle was factory new, just few thousand miles and behaved exactly as you described.  Problem found was a cracked fuel suction line to tank.  usually had enough fuel to idle but sucked air as load stepped up.  Restarted like a champ and sometimes stopped on road for no reason.  as the engine flexed in mountings and underhood temperature changed crack would open and close enough to suck air rather than fuel.  Just be sure you have fuel before full blame on the ignition.  
"If the women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy" Red Green
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 3:34pm
Have you replaced the pickup coil in the distributor???

I'm guessing the 6 cylinder Duraspark uses a pickup coil like the V8 system does.

There are ohm tests you can do on the pickup coil, between a few of the wires. I forget which wires & what the readings should be, should be easy enough to find with an interweb search. If the pickup reads good, heat it with a hair drier & see if the readings change.
"Prolly" is not a word.
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 4:18pm
Check your neutral safety switch. I had one go bad that caused the same issues you describe.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 4:28pm
The NSS prevents the starter from actuating. It will have no effect on a car that is already running.

OP, have you inspected the distributor cap? A cracked centre terminal could be your culprit.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 6:08pm
I had a NSS go bad and was shorting or grounding the system. The car would intermittently buck and cut out but would crank fine. Turned out to be a bad pin that was loose on the NS switch and I found the problem by using the paper clip method on the connector. Replaced the NSS and end of problem. It was an 84 Eagle
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 11:04pm
Quote Problem found was a cracked fuel suction line to tank. usually had enough fuel to idle but sucked air as load stepped up. Restarted like a champ and sometimes stopped on road for no reason. as the engine flexed in mountings and underhood temperature changed crack would open and close enough to suck air rather than fuel. Just be sure you have fuel before full blame on the ignition.   

You might be onto something. I purged the line, disconnected the tank and the fuel pump, plugged one side and put a hand vacuum pump on the other. Initially I had leaks and it looks like the fuel filter I installed before the fuel pump is starting to crack, so I'll replace that tomorrow. Checking form the other side of the filter I found no leaks, so the fuel pump would of been constantly fighting a fuel filter that was mostly full of air but the hoses and the steel line are good.

Quote Have you replaced the pickup coil in the distributor???
I'm guessing the 6 cylinder Duraspark uses a pickup coil like the V8 system does.
There are ohm tests you can do on the pickup coil, between a few of the wires. I forget which wires & what the readings should be, should be easy enough to find with an interweb search. If the pickup reads good, heat it with a hair drier & see if the readings change.

I have not replaced the pickup but yes I believe it's the same, just with a six point reluctor. Testing cold I get 680 ohms across the pickup coil. On a hot engine it's 720 ohms. The interwebs says both readings are okay.

Quote OP, have you inspected the distributor cap? A cracked centre terminal could be your culprit.

Yes. It looks good. I replaces the cap and rotor in March so they are also still quite new.

Alright I'm going to carve up one of my more abused blue grommet modules and steal the connectors, then I can swap the original module back in.

Edited by MIPS - Sep/12/2022 at 11:25pm
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2022 at 2:38pm
Swapped out the SMP module and put back in the original AMC/Motorcraft module and then did a test drive with no issues. Erratic computer behavior seemed to go away as well. *shrug*
Pulled into the driveway, cycled the key and gave it a few revs and then it dropped dead, like really really dead and this time cycling the key wasn't helping. Plugged the SMP module back in and it was still dead. No spark. No AC voltage present at the tach test point when cranking.

Reluctor coil resistance: Okay - 710 ohms
Distributor grounding: Good - 0.6 ohms
Harness RUN terminal: Good, battery voltage
Harness START terminal: Good, battery voltage when cranking
Module temperature: good - was running slightly warm; Test module was cold from the shelf

Plugged in another distributor because it was 9pm and I wasn't about to swap a reluctor in the dark (and yes I grounded the test distributor to the block so things still worked) and still, no high voltage out of the coil secondary when I spun the shaft. I was going to test continuity of the tach wire to the coil and then the coil itself but before I could both modules suddenly started working again.

Well, my old leaking coil is still sitting in the corner and I have to be travelling to the coast this weekend (no stress....yeah, none. None at all. No siree!), so I'll take a spare module and coil with me but I'm not entirely sure what failed there.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2022 at 7:10pm
Problem solved. My bad.

I had installed a connector (crimped and soldered) after the ignition module but before the rest of the car for a knock sensor and anti-theft system. I thought the ignition system only needed one or two amps but it looks like it wants a lot more and the connector has burned up, causing a intermittent fault.

I'll replace it with a better connector but as a newbie here how many amps should I expect on the TACH wire?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2022 at 7:32pm
The tach shouldn't need a whole lot of current unless it is inline with the ignition, which isn't the case with your vintage of AMC.

From the photo, the wire and connector seem adequate for the ignition circuit. I'm surprised it burned out. 
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic