TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Duraspark Ignition "Fun".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duraspark Ignition "Fun".
    Posted: Jan/11/2021 at 3:57am
"Fun". Sarcasm. 

My Eagle had all it's original Duraspark ignition parts, all marked Ford. Distributor pickup, module, and coil. About a year ago I thought, "These parts are 35 years old. They're probably looking for a place and time to fail. I'll replace them all now with all-new components to give myself a totally new ignition system that is entirely under warranty."

Bad idea.

The engine would not start after I installed all the new parts. The new pickup was bad out of the box. I warranty swapped it for another one and it started. 

Six months later, the engine begins to sputter badly and gets worse over the next fifteen seconds or so until is totally stalls and coasts to the side of the road. Bad module. I swapped the original (spare) back in to get myself home. The engine had more power on the original module. Huh, the new one must have become weak before it died. I warranty swapped the bad new module for another new one. That one does the exact same thing about six months later: slowly loses power in a way that I don't notice until one day it just dies. Two defective modules in a row. After that, I left the original module in place. 

Recently it began to fight the starter on cold startup (weird) and developed a nasty missfire and terrible power loss above 2800 RPM. Swapped modules, no difference. Swapped out the new coil for the original coil and saw some improvement, but not completely. Swapped out the distributor pickup for the original one and like magic: totally fixed. Doesn't fight the starter, runs smoother, has lots more power, and no missfire. Two defective new pickups in a row and a new coil that doesn't function as well as the original. 

Lesson learned: no more aftermarket ignition parts for me. I'm sticking to OEM. I have all the original Ford parts back on it now and it's running great. I have more good used or NOS Ford ignition parts in the trunk as spares. 

So if your Duraspark ignition engine is doing weird things, maybe look at those new parts that you put on it. There is something to be said for 35 year old parts. If they've lasted this long, they will probably continue lasting for a long time. 

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/11/2021 at 4:01am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 3:51pm
Out of curiosity where were you buying your parts? Was this a local parts outlet or RockAuto?
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 4:44pm
Are there "good" aftermarket Duraspark parts on the market? I know MSD makes pickups we can swap in and they seem "good" but what about the module? 
79 Cherokee, 401
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by MIPS MIPS wrote:

Out of curiosity where were you buying your parts? Was this a local parts outlet or RockAuto?

That really doesn't matter because most of the aftermarket stuff seems to be junk. Generally there's only one or two overseas companies making the stuff and it's branded to whatever name. The junk Moog ball joints I put in several years ago in my Jeep are sloppy already and there's less than 10k miles on them. Angry He learned the hard way that just because it's new doesn't make it good.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 8:03pm
When I had a couple of Grand Marquis as daily drivers, I found the Motorcraft (Ford) parts seemed to be better quality than the aftermarket stuff. I replaced some of the coil packs, an idle air valve, ride level $en$or, all worked for me. Rock Auto had good prices on them, so it was actually about the same price as aftermarket bought locally.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 8:49pm
I have found that the aftermarket ignition boxes do not last. And I suspect you are right. But where can you find good pick up modules? The one in my 1979 AMX failed.  I had another distributor and it has a good pick up in it.  
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 1:25am
All of these were Napa Echlin parts, and they were all made by Standard Motor Products Inc.. It's either SMP's regular line or their Premium "Blue Streak" line. 

SMP also makes Napa's value "Proformer" line of Duraspark ignition parts. It's SMP's "T-series" lower product line. I don't think it would do any better. I tried the Proformer ignition coil and it too misfired at higher RPM just like the Echlin coil when the old 1980's SMP coil did not. 

SMP seems to more or less a monopoly on Duraspark parts. No matter where you buy it or what name is on the box, it's either a regular SMP or a SMP T-series. I don't even think you can get the OEM parts from Ford any more. I bet they are sourcing theirs from SMP now too.

This vehicle has gone through two SMP distributor pickups and two SMP control modules in 18 months and less than 3,000 miles when the previous ones lasted 30+ years. My COncord has all it's original ignition parts at 38 years old and 160,000 miles. I'm through with the new junk failing out of the box or shortly after or running like crap. I'm hoarding the old parts now, both OEM Ford and old SMP. 

So just....you know...beware. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 5:34am
Ditch the duraspark and get a good (DUI) HEI and never worry again
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by XJ6 XJ6 wrote:

Ditch the duraspark and get a good (DUI) HEI and never worry again
  parts for the HEI are junk too.  So how is the HEI an improvement? 
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 12:11pm
Easy...one wire to hook up. Chinese HEIs are suspect but I have 2 DUIs  they are made in USA and one of mine is over 20 years old. Have never done any maintenance other than change out the cap and rotor from age.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic