TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dupli-Color paint, Any Good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dupli-Color paint, Any Good?
    Posted: Jun/07/2022 at 7:15am
So,  I just picked up several quarts of this stuff- https://www.eastwood.com/dupli-color-paint-shop-finish-system-gray-primer-quart-32-oz-bsp100.html?WickedSource=Microrsoft&WickedId=79233729577457|default|e&msclkid=d24103a817791d5b6ded613757e46add

I got a steal of a deal- 15.00 a quart, so I figured I would try it out.   I got several quarts of primer and several quarts of Mopar Sublime Green.    

No real targeted vehicle to test the stuff on, but I thought I see if any body here has ever used it.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2022 at 11:40am
I can't seem to get your link to work despite several attempts, so I'm not sure which product it is exactly. But I have sprayed Dupli-color on several occasions. It sprays fine, seems to cover well enough. No real complaints. Their BC/CC is relatively decent for an economy line. I probably wouldn't paint a show car with it, but jambs, suspension parts, engine parts... stuff like that? Absolutely. I use Omni for these things today and would rate them probably close to the same. And at that price it's impossible to complain too much about it.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 8:00pm
Well,  it's lacquer,  and it's premixed,  already thinned.
So the quart you're getting is cheaper because it's over half thinner, with whatever thinner they choose.  
Meaning you're not able slow or speed up the drying rate for local conditions.

I can remember the struggles I use to have with lacquer when I first started painting 50 years ago,  painting technology has moved on thank goodness.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I can remember the struggles I use to have with lacquer when I first started painting 50 years ago,  painting technology has moved on thank goodness.

What? You don't miss "the good old days" of lacquer? Haaaaaahaha. Yes, paint technology has really changed and so much for the better.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Regamble1969 Regamble1969 wrote:

Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

What? You don't miss "the good old days" of lacquer? Haaaaaahaha. Yes, paint technology has really changed and so much for the better.
The only thing I miss about the "good old days" of painting, I didn't need such expensive masks as I do today to protect me from the isocyanides. 
Now who in the world would miss, Lacquer blushing, can't paint on damp or high humidity day and endless buffing!!!   Wink

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2022 at 4:43pm

The only thing I miss about the "good old days" of painting, I didn't need such expensive masks as I do today to protect me from the isocyanides. 
Now who in the world would miss, Lacquer blushing, can't paint on damp or high humidity day and endless buffing!!!   Wink

i dont miss those days of blushing or polishing.  you had to paint at the exact right humidity, during the middle of the day and make sure it had dried to touch by sundown or it would blush.  went thru many polishers as well.
RamblRumble_63_19 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2022 at 10:12pm
As others have pointed out, it is pre-mixed acrylic lacquer, so your mileage may vary. It all depends on temp/weather conditions, type and quality of gun/tip, your style and speed of painting, how you paintaing area is set up, how clean, airflow, etc. I'd say it's good for items that you're not looking for a excellent / "flawless" finish on..
Unique gearhead, overcoming life's obstacles.
'63 Rambler Ambassador 880 Original. 327 61k miles.
Link=> https://garagehotrods.com/2020/10/16/joey-shelbys-63-amc-rambler-ambassador/
79Spirit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 1:44pm
The problem with lacquer is you cant topcoat with something more durable but its easy to repair. To save money I have been buying single stage flat paints and generic reducer. I mix it and leave out the hardener then let it dry for a couple days and hit it with the a good aftermarket clear like southern urethanes. Paint has gotten ridiculously expensive
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic