TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

drip rail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drip rail
    Posted: May/31/2023 at 10:22pm
i got all the nice trim off of this 70 hornet but have no clue how to get the drip rail trim off without hurting it.   how yall doing it?? 
   thanks
its the little things that make the biggest difference
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 6:13am
  I'm not sure about the details on your hornet, but most cars I've worked on have worked well removing them with a block of wood and hammer.  Get some hard wood (like oak) and tap the bottom edge of the molding from the inside of the car out.  You will need to go several passes to avoid twisting the molding as it comes loose.  Tap it until you see that area move (even if it only moves 1/16"), then move the block a few inches and tap again.  
  Keep an eye on the block so that you keep using a sharp corner.  Rotate or recut the end of the block as required.
  The cars I've done this on have had the weatherstripping removed, I'm not sure if this will work with the rubber in place or not.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:02am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I'm not sure about the details on your hornet, but most cars I've worked on have worked well removing them with a block of wood and hammer.  Get some hard wood (like oak) and tap the bottom edge of the molding from the inside of the car out.  You will need to go several passes to avoid twisting the molding as it comes loose.  Tap it until you see that area move (even if it only moves 1/16"), then move the block a few inches and tap again.  
  Keep an eye on the block so that you keep using a sharp corner.  Rotate or recut the end of the block as required.
  The cars I've done this on have had the weatherstripping removed, I'm not sure if this will work with the rubber in place or not.

Mike

ok thanks il try that.

its the little things that make the biggest difference
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:19am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Mike

That's how I take it off too....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic