TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Drill Bits where do you find the best ones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 5:49pm
The premium "black and gold USA....." replacement bits I've bought off of McMaster are Norseman.  There are only a few USA bit manufacturers and there is some rebranding.  But expect to pay for quality.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 6:02pm
Good to know. I still get a hard copy catalogue from M-C at work, though I never crack it open, since their online version works better for me. I'm getting old and I can't easily read  the print...
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 6:21pm
it's been a while since i have been there but the Fastenall store had a pretty good choice.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 8:25pm
One thing to keep in mind is that stainless gets hard if you are drilling deep holes, and sometimes stopping halfway thru a deep hole and adding a few drops of oil will actually harden the hole.  There are lots of good brands here.  I like the selection available from MSC, but its good to hear that McMaster has decent options as well.

I also like split point bits when using a drill press, but some can be too aggressive when using a pistol drill.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 4:59pm
Another good source is "Drill and Cutters". Been using them for years.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 5:04pm
This thread has just as many opinions as a what cam should I use post. Big smile

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 12:36am
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

This thread has just as many opinions as a what cam should I use post. Big smile

Tom

Bwaaaahaha. Too true.
AMC-Rambler_parts View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-Rambler_parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

McMaster Carr
Yes but they are very expensive. They are normally around 60% +/- overpriced, but if it's an emergency and you need it quickly they're definitely the way to go. 
AMC-Rambler_parts View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-Rambler_parts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 12:07pm
I have some machine tooling catalogs that I look through or I go onto some of the machining forums and ask some of the old timers that are on there. From there with a limited education on the subject it's kind of a crap shoot. I'll buy a couple bits and test them out to see if I like them. You're lucky that you're not looking for some carbide bits which can easily run $50-120+ each
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2022 at 10:48pm
I've bought lots of replacement Norseman bits at McMaster and didn't think they were crazy expensive.   What other sources are there that stock, and will sell, single replacements of Norsemans in their various styles and sizes?  
Harry J Epstein is a good source as well for Norseman- old timey hardware store in KC with amazing selection.
Now that Enco is long gone, MSC prices are insane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic