TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Draining a torque converter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draining a torque converter
    Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 1:23am
What is the best way to drain the torque converter on a 3 speed automatic on a 65 American 440 sedan?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 4:36am
Hub into a 5 gallon bucket. And let ir sit like that for a few days. Unless it haa a drain plg. Alot of older Fords had plugs. Some rebuilt ones did too.
Assuming its out of the car.
In the car?  Does it have cooler lines?  If so...disconnect  one, into a 5 gallon bucket fill the transmission with fluid,  (2 people is better for this)  start the car,  run it, when ir almost stops pumping, turn off the engine, and hook up the cooler line and refill again and check it from there

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/19/2021 at 4:43am
Rambleman65 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 1:01pm
It is still in the car. I thought maybe there was a way to do it with the converter still in the car.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 3:17pm
i had an old nova i did this to.. i took the inspection cover off the bottom and i drilled a small 1/8" hole in the converter.  let it drain overnight. then used a tiny self tapping screw and rtv to close the hole back up.. i drove the car another 60k before i sold it and had no problems.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 1:58am
I have heard of doing that. I am having a few issues with the transmission and i dont want to drain the fluid and then mix new fluid with what is in the converter.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 8:46am
I could not find a reference but somewhere in the cobwebs I seem to remember Amsoil recommending that if you completely changed fluid, you had to drill a drain hole in the converter.  They had a plug that resembled a pop rivet that you then installed to plug the hole.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:19am
Wouldn't installing a screw or other sort of plug un-ballance the converter?
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 2:16pm
if i remember some of those BW had drain plugs on them not sure of the early years  check it out  
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 1:54am
Its hard to tell if there is a drain plug since it looks like the torque converter is completely covered by the flywheel. I looked through the hole in the bottom of the bell housing where the flywheel is exposed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic