TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Donohue Spoiler repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donohue Spoiler repairs
    Posted: Apr/28/2022 at 8:55pm
Folks, 

Looking for suggestions (hardware) regarding replacing four broken studs (1/4-20) on my Donohue spoiler.  I removed it for the first time as part of the refurbishment project for the car.  four of the studs broke, most with small stubs of the stud protruding from the bottom spoiler surface.  I was planning to get some manner of stud and doing the repair with fiberglass.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 8:00pm
Joe 

I have repaired two spoilers with exactly the same issues. Egads!!!

The first spoiler was really bad, so I simply cut off what was left of the (fiberglass) mounting studs (removed the metal screw first)on the underside of the spoiler. Next I obtained a fiberglass header panel, I removed from a wrecked car at a pick-u-parts yard. I cut off the entire fiberglass with metal screw stud area to use as a replacement on my Javelin spoiler.  I simply cut everything down on the inside of my spoiler, measured, trail fit and then Fiberglassed the mounts to the spoiler.  I did misjudge on one stud and had to add two washes to the metal screw for spacing when I mounted the spoiler on my Javelin. I also had to repair the entire horizontal lower area of the spoiler and I made the wing areas that overlap the 1/4 panels solid. It looks a lot nicer when the trunk lid is up
Very time consuming, but relative cheap in price if you do your own fiberglass work.  I had one clear advantage, the decklid was a virgin with no previous spoiler. So any errors on stud location(s) was not an issue as I had to drill new holes anyway. 

The second spoiler I repaired the existing fiberglass mounting studs. I cut off the entire studs, made a hollow tube out of cardboard, prepped the old stud base in preparation to add new fiberglass. I used fiberglass mesh, stuffed the tube with wet fiberglass mesh, made sure the old spoiler stud base was very well coated with resin, added some fiberglass mesh and placed the tube filled with fresh fiberglass materials over the stud base. I made sure that I took measurements of the top of the stud base prior to cutting off and when I added the new fiberglass, ( in the cardboard tub) I measured to make sure the tube was positioned as needed. 
After I let this sit for two days, I cut off the carboard, cleaned up the outer diameter appearance of the new stud & fiber-glassed the base of the stud area again and went wider to make sure my stud would not break off. Once all the fiberglass work was finished and dry I measured for proper height (underside of spoiler to flat spot of the stud) ground down the fiberglass to make/add the flat shoulder area for the metal screw location to be installed. I drilled the new fiberglass stud mount and used a tap to match the course screw pattern of the metal screw. I trial fitted the metal screw & made very, very sure that I did not over tighten. I think I used 12 psi on a torque wrench. 
Spoiler went right back on, in the same holes as it was supposed too!
Unfortunately, I do not have any photos to share. 
Hope that helps!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 8:27pm
you should post pics.

If the metal stud is still there but the FRP (if an original spoiler) boss around the stud is fine, I would get some small (less than 3/16) left hand drill bits and drill them out.  Be careful to be on center.  If I recall, those are just double ended studs.  The lefthand drill bit will want to back them out as you drill into them.  Tap drill size for the 1/4 stud is #7 drill bit.  As I started out with, pics would help.  If an original spoiler be VERY careful.  Not many of those FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) spoilers around...

Edited by SCRAGTOP - May/16/2022 at 8:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic