TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Do I have enough power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I have enough power?
    Posted: May/21/2021 at 3:06pm
So I am adding a Sniper EFI and electric fans to my Javelin, I currently have a 55 amp altenator. So I am wondering if I have enough power to run them and put a strain on my electrical system, getting the fans today and I cannot find any info on the Sniper power requirements except it is 12v.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2021 at 3:26pm
Did it come with a fuse? Have a number on it?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2021 at 3:46pm
The Sniper draws less then 3 AMPs. Your electric fans may draw up to 35 AMPs.
Your fuses protect the electrical circuit and not what's at the end of the wire drawing power.
If you add up all the fuse AMPs on a fuse panel, you will be well above 55 AMPs, even on cars that came with a stock 35 AMP alternator.
55 AMPs is fine unless you are also running a high AMP car stereo.
Check your voltage at the battery when the fans, lights, accessories are running. If it drops below 14.2 VDC then you likely need more alternator.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2021 at 6:47am
I run a 55A GM 10si alternator on my car with 4.0L EFI and Contour electric fans, with AC. Just a standard Kenwood stereo head unit, no amps or anything. Never had an issue, been running like that 18 years.
Frank Swygert
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2021 at 5:12pm
Thanks guys and I am just going to run an little aftermarket stereo.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:13am
Forgot, I am also running an electric fuel pump.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 3:25pm
A 35A alternator would still be enough. Anything more would be gravy! Like I said, I'm running EFI -- high pressure electric pump, computer, etc., and have plenty power with a 55A. Small alternators under 50A are harder to find now.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Small alternators under 50A are harder to find now.

Lol, that is indeed the problem! (There are worse problems to have I suppose. :-)

The 'power budget' for the entire 1960 American wagon is 15 amps. Light bulbs, radio, and really, not anything else was available. Everything except ignition and maybe some instrument stuff runs through a single 15A breaker, but headlights have their own breaker. I think the headlights are #1 load, fan #2, radio #3.

In 2021 I've added one of those bluetooth stereo+subwoofer amps, and 15 amps is now more than enough. Added a USB socket, there's another ampere or possibly two.

Running a Delco 10si (cheap rebuild) for the reason you mention.

Edited by tomj - Aug/05/2021 at 10:03pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic