TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dana 60 or 12 bolt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

The Dana is virtually indestructible but is heavy, about 400-500 lbs IIRC. 
A Dana 60 is not even close to that kind of weight. I have 3 of them under cars and they weigh about 50 lbs more than a stock case 9" Ford. The reason I use them is they are very cost effective to build compared to a 9" Ford, bullet proof, and actually more energy efficient do to the position of the pinion compared to a 9". The only negative with a Dana 60 over a 9" Ford is if you like changing gear ratios often. 

Just remember while it might be heavier it also applies more weight to the rear tires and improves traction. It's so easy to make horsepower today, so having the extra weight pressing down on the rear tires is a great plus. People make to big of a deal counting pounds on cars. Rear weight and rearend weight are never a negative in my world.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by cone cone wrote:

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

The only negative about a 9" I have is noise. They're noisy if you're going to do a lot of driving. I have a Quick Performance unit in mine as well.
This is the issue I have with my AMC 20. It's a PITA to adjust properly, I've changed the ring gear and installed a new trac-lock, even taken it to a garage that used to work on AMC's, twice, to get it right and it still howls enough to even have my wife tell me I need to get it fixed. I'm not dumping any more money into it, I'll just swap it out. Judging from the opinions here the ford 9 inch seems to be the best option.
The issue seems to be with the ring and pinion blanks after talking with a number of people that know them well and a few shops as well. If you want a quiet 9”, you need to get an original set of Ford gears because they’re better made than the aftermarket sets. The noise comes from the angle at which the pinion engages the ring gear from what I understand. I have a Motive set in mine and it was pretty quiet but this year started whining on drive about 55 mph. I found a set of Ford gears that I’m going to try out and see what happens. I have a couple of big road trips planned for next year. 
Hind sight being 20/20 I would put an 8 3/4 Mopar in it instead. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

A Dana 60 is not even close to that kind of weight. I have 3 of them under cars and they weigh about 50 lbs more than a stock case 9" Ford. The reason I use them is they are very cost effective to build compared to a 9" Ford, bullet proof, and actually more energy efficient do to the position of the pinion compared to a 9". The only negative with a Dana 60 over a 9" Ford is if you like changing gear ratios often. 

Just remember while it might be heavier it also applies more weight to the rear tires and improves traction. It's so easy to make horsepower today, so having the extra weight pressing down on the rear tires is a great plus. People make to big of a deal counting pounds on cars. Rear weight and rearend weight are never a negative in my world.

Tom

Yup, brain fart on my end.  I checked some references and they seem to range between 200-250 lbs.  The mind is the first of two things to go and I can't remember the second.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 12:59am
So who is having the Black Friday sale on these and what are the approximate price points?
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
cone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by 4015spdJavAMX 4015spdJavAMX wrote:

So who is having the Black Friday sale on these and what are the approximate price points?
strangeengineering.net,  Quick performance has a black Friday sale too but it doesn't include complete rear ends or shipping.

Edited by cone - Nov/28/2020 at 6:48am
1987 J20, 87 Grand Wagoneer,70AMX,
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 2:49pm
Currie offers a bolt in 9" rear for a Jeep Commanche which will fit any AMC leaf spring car. Slightly wider at 60.5 inches but wheel offsets can fix that
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 10:03pm
I just installed a Strange S60 from my buddy's 71 Cuda into my 71 Javelin. Its the Mopar B-Body width, bolted right in with no issues. I can't say about the stock fuel tank clearance as I have a fuel cell. 
The S60 is lighter than a stock Dana 60 I have the same rear end in my 70 Challenger but with a different gear ratio and disc brakes, Javelin has Drums from my Challenger .

Strange S60 Dana B-Body length with 4.10 with Eaton Truetrac Differential  (A-7) tapered wheel bearings 35 spline axles . Rotors and calipers not installed ( but with caliper brackets.)
= 204 LBS
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 9:26am

Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Tom

Yup, brain fart on my end.  I checked some references and they seem to range between 200-250 lbs.  The mind is the first of two things to go and I can't remember the second.

200-250 sounds right to me as well,

I have a B-body D60 and I have carried it in and out of my basement a few times over the years.

Lifting it wasn't a lot of fun,
but I know I can't carry 400lbs,

especially 400lbs of 5 foot long dead weight,
while hunched over, up stairs, by myself 😁
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2020 at 3:14am
have you given thoughts on a 8.8 for about 600 dollars one can be built to handle up to 600hp plenty of them around and lots of gear selection
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2020 at 10:51pm
While everyone loves to have a Dana60, the simple fact is that the Ford 9" has far more gear options available.  There's a guy on the mopar b body forum right now who is removing his Dana and putting in a new 9" for that reason.
Faster is Better
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic