TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dana 60 or 12 bolt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 60 or 12 bolt
    Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 6:09am
I am considering taking advantage of a black Friday sale and swapping out the AMC 20 in my AMX with a custom Dana 60 or 12 bolt. Any opinions on which one would be the better axle? I'm leaning toward the Dana 60 but have read that there might be a clearance issue with the pumpkin cover and the fuel tank. 
1987 J20, 87 Grand Wagoneer,70AMX,
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 6:49am
Not sure of your answer, but I do have a Dana 60 sitting under a 69 Javelin I bought a few years ago, it has Yukon Axles and disc brakes on it......I didn't build it, so I am not sure of ratio, but it is available if you are interested....and I can't remember if the tank is still in it but I can rake a look.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 7:31am
I put a Quick performance 9in in my Scrambler.  Max at QP specd me out with everything I needed and more importantly didn't need. Shockingly it came out 20lbs less than my model 20. It practically put itself in. Keep in mind a properly prepared  model 20 can get you in the 10s
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 7:39am
I also got a 9" from Quick Performance. They're 4.5 hours away from me so I took the AMC 20 out of my '69 AMX to them so they could measure it. They will assemble and ship but it has to come by truck. The other option is they'll send it to you in pieces to keep the shipping cost down. I assembled it with no issues, went together perfectly. They're not cheap but I challenge you to break one.

-Steve-

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 8:21am
What horsepower level are you at?  The Dana is virtually indestructible but is heavy, about 400-500 lbs IIRC.  Unless you are pushing over 600 hp, I think the Dana is a waste.  Just my two cents. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 2:41pm
I would recommend a 9" over the Dana 60.

On my 70 AMX I used the stock backing plates w/factory brakes and factory e-brake with a 9" rear end.

You need the correct housing ends. Small old style ford housing (if I remember correctly) ends will fit your stock rear brake setup.

And you have the option of being able to swap gear ratio in a short amount of time with an extra case........very convenient compared to a Dana 60.

Just my O2 for what it's worth.

Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 3:01pm
The only negative about a 9" I have is noise. They're noisy if you're going to do a lot of driving. I have a Quick Performance unit in mine as well.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
cone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

The only negative about a 9" I have is noise. They're noisy if you're going to do a lot of driving. I have a Quick Performance unit in mine as well.
This is the issue I have with my AMC 20. It's a PITA to adjust properly, I've changed the ring gear and installed a new trac-lock, even taken it to a garage that used to work on AMC's, twice, to get it right and it still howls enough to even have my wife tell me I need to get it fixed. I'm not dumping any more money into it, I'll just swap it out. Judging from the opinions here the ford 9 inch seems to be the best option.
1987 J20, 87 Grand Wagoneer,70AMX,
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 6:30pm
having played with ford 9 and dana in 4x4 truck the dana is very heavy and big pumpkin i would opt for the 9 any day in a car unless your turning some big tires  because of weight 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by cone cone wrote:

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

This is the issue I have with my AMC 20. It's a PITA to adjust properly, I've changed the ring gear and installed a new trac-lock, even taken it to a garage that used to work on AMC's, twice, to get it right and it still howls enough to even have my wife tell me I need to get it fixed. I'm not dumping any more money into it, I'll just swap it out. Judging from the opinions here the ford 9 inch seems to be the best option.
if the 20 is noisy....its not set up correctly.   Get a good rear end guy and there really is no reason why you cant get it set up .
A nine inch was noisy when new. And they came out in 1957.  I worked for an old Ford mechanic.  And he was working on them when they came out in 1957. He told me they would make noise at certain speeds and that was normal 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic